Advertisement

Good fonts for making logos with on Debian Sarge

Started by June 27, 2004 09:35 PM
15 comments, last by HTML 20 years, 2 months ago
I want to make logos using Gimp. Although, does anyone happen to know how to install fonts like these? Not those exact fonts necessarily, but fonts that would be good for making logos with and that are able to be used for logos for businesses. (and sold with web sites) I am using Debian Sarge to let you know. Thanks.
Something like "apt-cache search ttf-" will list many font packages in Debian (and some extraneous packages, too). If the fonts are in the contrib or non-free repositories (if you're even using those repositories), make sure to check their license. See the "ttf-larabie" prefixed packages for a lot of miscellaneous fonts.

If you find some TrueType fonts with an acceptable license, place them in one of fonts:/// (from Nautilus, accessable from the GNOME font capplet details) or ~/.fonts for all FontConfig utilizing programs (all of GTK+ and GNOME 2.x and I think Qt 3 as well) to automagically find them.
Advertisement
Thanks, happen to know what a "DFSG-free license" is? Not sure if you can use fonts with that commercially or not, I did a google search but didn't find much.

ttf-dustin - DFSG-free license

ttf-freefont - GNU license
ttf-bitstream-vera - GNU license

Copyright:
You are free to distribute this software under the terms of the GNU General
Public License. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL file.

GNU license means it's free but not commercial, right?

Where can I find font I can use commercially?
Quote: Original post by HTML
Thanks, happen to know what a "DFSG-free license" is? Not sure if you can use fonts with that commercially or not, I did a google search but didn't find much.

ttf-dustin - DFSG-free license

DFSG standards for Debian Free Software Guidelines. For a license to comply with the guidelines, it must fit these criteria. Every package in "real" Debian (not non-free) will comply with the DFSG.

The package for ttf-dustin in Sid says it can be redistributed under the GPL, which means you can use it commercially. If you're just drawing images using the font, you're not creating a derived work and the GPL doesn't interfere any.
ttf-freefont - GNU license
ttf-bitstream-vera - GNU license

Copyright:
You are free to distribute this software under the terms of the GNU General
Public License. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL file.

GNU license means it's free but not commercial, right?

You can use both of those font families commercially and/or draw images using them.
Cool, thanks :)

And for the dustin fonts:
Free Redistribution

The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

Just want to make sure I understand this right: You can sell logos with these fonts according to this, right?

And are these the only fonts that you can install? It seems like these are all the basic fonts.

[Edited by - HTML on June 28, 2004 9:30:36 AM]
And are these the only fonts that you can install? It seems like these are all the basic fonts.

Have you tried the "ttf-larabie-" packages yet?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Null and Void

Have you tried the "ttf-larabie-" packages yet?

I don't have "ttf-larabie" for some reason. What is your apt-get sources list for fonts? I tried unstable and testing to get these fonts.

Quote:
Free Redistribution

The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

Just want to make sure I understand this right: You can sell logos with these fonts according to this, right?

This is correct, right?
When reading the license terms try to distinguish between whether or not you can distribute the result of using that font (a logo, in your case) and whether you can distribute the font file itself.
I don't have "ttf-larabie" for some reason. What is your apt-get sources list for fonts? I tried unstable and testing to get these fonts.

It's just the prefix of a couple different packages: ttf-larabie-deco, ttf-larabie-straight, and ttf-larabie-uncommon.
Quote:
Free Redistribution

This is correct, right?

That says that you must be able to redistribute the font as part of a collection of software without charge (as long as it's in "real" Debian). When you create an image using a font, you're not actually redistributing the font itself. I'm not sure of the exact copyright terms of such a use, but I do know that the GPL will allow you to use a font like that if that's what it's licensed under.
Quote:
It's just the prefix of a couple different packages: ttf-larabie-deco, ttf-larabie-straight, and ttf-larabie-uncommon.

I don't seem to have anything that starts with the word larabie. You must have an extra line added to your apt sources because I have the default debian apt sources and I don't seem to see those packages.

EDIT: I figured out how to install non-free software now, so I have the larabie fonts now. Thanks, also, what exactly does non-free mean? Can that be used commercially as well?

[Edited by - HTML on June 28, 2004 11:48:46 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement