🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Earthlink DSL service and Linux...

Started by
4 comments, last by Paragon 23 years, 10 months ago
I''m currently using Earthlink DSL service, which uses a PPP client to connect to the internet (WinPoet). What I''m wondering is how would i connect to the internet if I were to install Linux on my system. There is no Linux version of this program and Earthlink does not provide any support for connecting to the internet. It is my understanding that the Windows emulators do not work for any type of networking programs (I may be wrong). Anyone have any ideas or experiences with this? I would really like to use Linux, but if i cannot connect to the internet with it, it would be useless to me. Thanks in Advance
Advertisement
I had a similar problem with my winmodem, I couldn't connect to the net under linux, so i couldn't get help for most of my problems. I don't have a lot of technical yes/no answers fro you, but here is my exp.

When I was getting my DSL line from bignet/covad i specifically asked if they would give tech support for different OSs. They said yes. I got it installed under windows and it took me about 30-40 mins of fiddling to get it to work (even after the tech left). It took me a couple more weeks to learn that my registry settings were off, so I was only getting half the speed that i could. Fast forward to after I installed linux, it just worked. No fiddling, no tweaking of settings... and i get about 10k/sec faster on average.

My DLS modem is acutally running a DHCP server on MS BackOffice. I think the DHCP server takes care of all the config settings for you. This is were i break down, i don't know if the PPP client you use is incompatible with DHCP, or if DHCP is a completely different technology that does the same thing as a PPP client. dunno... But mine works without a hitch! Now back to game programming!

P.S. Gimmie a break on the winmodem thing. It's not like they tell you in the store ... hmm, modem for $90, or modem for $40. me - "Excuse me, sir. Why are these prices so different?"
Clerk - "I dunno"

Edited by - Jim_Ross on August 30, 2000 1:21:53 PM
First of all: Winmodems. Don''t use them. It''s a piece of crap where everything (almost) is done in the software driver. The whole V.90 implemetation is in the driver, causing your processor to do all the work a normal modem does. This is why noone has bothered to port the driver to any other OS, since it''s a true pain in the a$$ and a lot of work to get that so-called ''hardware'' to do what it should.

Well, enough ranting. Now on to the real topic

I''m not sure how your DSL modems work over there in the US, but if you connect to it through your Ethernet card and use DHCP you will have no problem whatsoever using linux. There are plenty of good DHCP clients for Linux, and it''s generally both faster and more reliable than the Windowze implementation.

Most services that has some kind of ''special login/configure'' stuff usually end up with some people getting tired of using Windowze, and porting the stuff over to Linux/other favourite OS. At least that was the case with my cable connection here in Sweden.
-------------------------------------------------------------LGPL 3D engine - http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/realityengine
quote:
First of all: Winmodems. Don't use them. It's a piece of crap where everything (almost) is done in the software driver. The whole V.90 implemetation is in the driver, causing your processor to do all the work a normal modem does. This is why noone has bothered to port the driver to any other OS, since it's a true pain in the a$$ and a lot of work to get that so-called 'hardware' to do what it should.

I agree with you that Winmodems are crap (but it's _cheap_ crap ), but there are drivers for other OSes than Windows. BeOS is supposed to support LT (and some other type of) Winmodems, and I've heard about people getting Winmodems to work under Linux... Linmodems.org.

Edited by - Muzzafarath on August 30, 2000 1:59:53 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Well, they are still crap since the CPU must do all the work a normal modem does

Anyway, about DSL and PPP over Ethernet. Since I hadn''t heard about this before, this really interested me. I checked the homepage for the company that made WinPoet, and the specifications for it. Then I searched around for info on PPPoE for Linux, and finally ended up on freshmeat.net (as always

Looks like there is at least some support for PPPoE (check out this page:http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=PPPoE)

I also read some archived newsgroup messages where they talked about adding support for these kind of things directly in the kernel, but as far as I could tell it wouldn''t appear in any stable kernel until the 2.4 (don''t quote me on that, though
-------------------------------------------------------------LGPL 3D engine - http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/realityengine
quote: Original post by Lord Chaos

Well, they are still crap since the CPU must do all the work a normal modem does

Anyway, about DSL and PPP over Ethernet. Since I hadn''t heard about this before, this really interested me. I checked the homepage for the company that made WinPoet, and the specifications for it. Then I searched around for info on PPPoE for Linux, and finally ended up on freshmeat.net (as always

Looks like there is at least some support for PPPoE (check out this page:http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=PPPoE)

I also read some archived newsgroup messages where they talked about adding support for these kind of things directly in the kernel, but as far as I could tell it wouldn''t appear in any stable kernel until the 2.4 (don''t quote me on that, though

Thanks alot, I think that is what I''m looking for. I''m going out of town today but when i come back i will try it out.

I''ll let you know how it works when I get back.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Paragon
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement