🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MS porting?

Started by
7 comments, last by ImmaGNUman 23 years, 10 months ago
According to a recent slashdot article MS hat gotten MAinsoft to port IE and Windows Media Player to Linux. Anyone have thoughts on this? ----------------------------- A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
Advertisement
If it''s true, it''s a good thing...i would much rather use IE than Netscape in Linux. Netscape (4.72, at any rate) is just so ugly...pages look hideous. And Netscape 6.x looks a lot nicer, but crashes every 5 minutes. So say what you want about Micro$oft, but IE+Linux is a good thing.

Martee
Magnum Games
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
MicroSoft or MainSoft can port anytihng they want...if it works and is better then my current solution, I''ll use it.If they want money for it, they can go take a flying leap

----------
meh
----------meh
Depends really. If its as unstable as the windows version I won''t touch it with a ten foot barge pole.

http://users.50megs.com/crazyvasey/
Huh it said I was anonymous but still printed my sig what gives?

http://users.50megs.com/crazyvasey/
Wait, /. update said it wasn''t gonna happen, Mainsoft is porting it to Unix servers and stuff, but not Linux.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
Based on their previous forays into the world of porting windows apps to unix, i''d say no thankyou. Mainsoft produced a version of sourcesafe that was a hugely bloated, slow memory hog that enjoyed crashing frequently and didnt really integrate with Unix very well at all. This is because they dont rewrite the app for that platform, they write a wrapper that basically tries to reproduce windows messages etc. I''d much rather use an app that was written specifically for my operating system than an app that has been hacked to make it TRY and run, while pretending to be on a windows system.

Now i could be doing them a disservice.. maybe their new ports will be better, but i can only judge on what i''ve seen and know.
Frankly speaking I can''t imagine Microsoft porting ANYTHING to Linux. I mean, I don''t want to offend MS (in this topic! ), but I simply don''t think that''s the market strategy of Microsoft. If it were so, I''d welcome it.

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Microsoft made a Unix OS. I forget the name, but it didn''t last long.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement