Advertisement

Problem with kernel modules.

Started by November 20, 2003 01:40 AM
4 comments, last by stefu 20 years, 9 months ago
I''v installed Debian Linux again and installation is pain compared to RH9. Now, the only acceptably working kernel is on my floppy disk (it asked to create boot floppy). For reason or another it didn''t install /boot/vmlinuz to hd. But now I have installed 2.4 binary kernel-image (dselected). Problem is that there''s no network and no sound. If I try insmod 8139cp (or was it 8139too) I get errors like: unresolved symbol: mii_ethtool_gset_R8ffcbfbe unresolved symbol: mii_nway_restart_R3114bb4f unresolved symbol: generic_mii_ioctl.R6dda050d and so on.. lsmod shows that there is via82_xxx (or sth like that) installed but but /dev/dps is not found. Also eth0 is unknown. With the image on floppy diks network at least works. What might be the problem?
Nah, never mind. I compiled kernel with everything necessary in it..
Advertisement
If you''re using woody (stable), you might have better results using either testing or unstable, as woody is a "few" years old by now...
Garfong expressed the usualy view over how old stable is, without bothering to comment on your problem.

The problem, btw, is that you forgot to intall the modules for that kernel version. so you were using modules from an older kernel version.
use modprobe instead of insmod. Modprobe automatically resolves dependencies, and so gets rid of many unresolved symbol errors.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
doh! what he said.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement