Advertisement

Good Chess front-end for Linux

Started by October 20, 2003 08:14 PM
2 comments, last by CWizard 20 years, 10 months ago
I've grown tired googling around to find a nice chess program for Linux (Gnome), so ask you if you have stumbled on any. All I find are either really ugly (you can't get into a good chess mood then) or weird 3d kinds (which I have no hope getting to run on this computer). I have the GNU Chess/XBoard, but frankly, it sucks. [edited by - CWizard on October 20, 2003 9:17:21 PM]
Do you mean GNU Chess sucks, and it poses no challenge for you? Or you don''t like the XBoard look? Gnome has a program that is basically (as far as I can tell) an XBoard clone, called Gnome Chess. There is SCID, which is a chess database program, but I believe it can run XBoard engines (GNU Chess, Crafty, etc.), Knights, Silbo, eboard looks pretty nice. That''s just from a quick google for "linux chess interface". Get one of those and Crafty and you should be set.
Advertisement
I use xboard a lot for playing on the internet. It can do a lot but like many linux programs is it not always so easy to do what you want without reading the manual.
Lazy idiots like me take the daily pain instead of looking up the appropiate way. I dont know how many times I have typed "set bell 0"...
quote: Original post by Russell
Do you mean GNU Chess sucks, and it poses no challenge for you? Or you don't like the XBoard look?
The latter. In most cases I don't care how the front-end looks as long as the back-end is good, but when it comes to chess, I want something gets oneself into a good chess mood, which usually involves trying to forget you're sitting infront of a computer. Eg, I had ChessMaster (2000?) for Windows some ages ago, and it had a really good interface.
quote: Gnome has a program that is basically (as far as I can tell) an XBoard clone, called Gnome Chess. There is SCID, which is a chess database program, but I believe it can run XBoard engines (GNU Chess, Crafty, etc.), Knights, Silbo, eboard looks pretty nice.
I've been through many, including those I think. Thanks for pointing them out, and I'll take some further effort on those to get one of them work.

[edited by - CWizard on October 21, 2003 7:17:28 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement