Advertisement

Does whine run VB?

Started by July 02, 2000 05:43 PM
20 comments, last by nes8bit 24 years, 2 months ago
Can it? If so, where can I get whine...and linux for that matter? ------------------------ Captured Reality
It might, I would doubt the latest and ''greatest'' version.You shouldn''t force your users to install extra libraries and emulators just to run your programs, plus your program won''t be running on linux, so you can''t access anything outside of emulated windows.I beleive you can find a list of what works and what doesn''t at the wine website - www.wine-hq.com

For free, you can get them at the distributor''s websites (rehat.com, slackware.com suse.de, etc.) which usually tell you where exactly on a particular mirror you can find what you need.Some common mirrors are ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/ or the newer ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux.You''ll have to download roughly 600 mb for a good sized set of tools, or you could try the smaller 30mb zipslack (from www.slackware.com) which you can install without changing any partitions (a regular distribution will need at least a native linux partiton and a swapfile partition).ZipSlack doesn''t come with much, so you''d also need to get X11, nutscape, wine, or whatever else you want.

For money, try cheapbytes or mrolinux.com if you''re cheap, or a distributor''s website if you want phone support/printed manual (some distos don''t come with a printed manual unless you pay extra).And get (download/buy/steal) a book too.I wouldn''t recommend installing a version of linux from a book for anything but playing with it, they''re usually several months/years old.
----------meh
Advertisement
Ah forget it then. I''m too lazy.

------------------------
Captured Reality
Natch, you''re a vb programmer
----------meh
Why don''t you just learn C?

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

god...do you know how many times I get that bs?

------------------------
Captured Reality
Advertisement
Well, vb isn''t exactly a serious programming language if you''re looking for flexibility, speed, or cross platform compatibilty. Sorry if that offends you, but it''s true.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

I''m sorry, Nes8Bit, but I have to agree with benjamin bunny...C is much better than VB concerning speed (for instance).
As far as I know is VB no "real" compiler, that means it creates an EXE-file, but uses a runtime library that executes the program while running, whereas a C-compiled EXE-file is a "real", standalone EXE-file...
And -by the way- is the C-Syntax really easy to learn...you could manage that with ease, I bet! The syntax is easy to swap, if you understood the programming itself. If you have a good experience in programming, you''ll only have to swap your programming language without learning something new, because you already know the stuff about linked lists, arrays and so on.
(Could it be that VB doesn''t support linked lists? I don''t know exactly, but the DOS Basic didn''t...)

--anyways, please don''t feel offended! I didn''t mean any harm, I just wanted to give you a piece of advice (that''s my point of view)--

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Let me see here.

As far as I know is VB no "real" compiler, that means it creates an EXE-file, but uses a runtime library that executes the program while running, whereas a C-compiled EXE-file is a "real", standalone EXE-file...

It''s not a standalone EXE, but it is still a native compiled EXE.

And -by the way- is the C-Syntax really easy to learn...you could manage that with ease, I bet! The syntax is easy to swap, if you understood the programming itself. If you have a good experience in programming, you''ll only have to swap your programming language without learning something new, because you already know the stuff about linked lists, arrays and so on.

I know C

(Could it be that VB doesn''t support linked lists? I don''t know exactly, but the DOS Basic didn''t...)

Yes it does

--anyways, please don''t feel offended! I didn''t mean any harm, I just wanted to give you a piece of advice (that''s my point of view)--

heh...JERK! jk.

------------------------
Captured Reality
Hey, nes8bit. I know c++ backwards and forwards, but I''m just learning vb. How do you do Linked lists here? (I know linked list, I just need to know how to declare a pointer in vb)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement