Advertisement

Best Linux Distro for Programming?

Started by September 06, 2003 12:52 PM
29 comments, last by HTML 21 years ago
Right now I am using Knoppix and was wondering what the best distro was( fastest stable and easiest to install, plenty of programs for programming, like text editors, g++, paint programs, and website programs and more..i couldnt install gentoo for the linux newb i am.) Soo, redhat? knoppix on hd? mandrake, suse, or debian? any other suggestions? I also wanted to dual boot this with 98se since i am a gammer too, and for other things you cant do on linux.. Also (srry its off topic) but what is a good cd copier program for linux?
Use mandrake.
Advertisement
Yup Mandrake
Redhat or FreeBSD are nice too...

For burning I like k3b best.
ok, but how do I dual boot it? how long does it take to install? btw i made my partitions already with partition magic so thats done. and is there any cd copier software?

and is kde better than gnome or is gnome better? knoppix uses kde and i really like it so far, so i hope it comes with drake.
if you already use knoppix and have some partitions ready (you need one of ~4gb for / and one of ~300mb for swap) and like knoppix, then simply open the knoppix root shell and type knx-hdinstall. an extremely simple install menu should pop up.

As for dual-boot: nearly every distribution installs a boot-manager (lilo or grub) to your mbr - no additional work for you (except for clicking ''ok'' once or twice ;-)

Advertisement
FreeBSD. Mandrake sucks.
OpenGL Revolutions http://students.hightechhigh.org/~jjensen/
31337: you''r right ;-)

still knoppix is nice for a quick and dirty install - ~20 minutes and you have a nicely configured debian system installed - but be sure not to try apt-get dist-upgrade

Please, God, don''t tell me you think FreeBSD is a Linux distro.
quote: Original post by 31337
FreeBSD. Mandrake sucks.

What an idiot. First, FreeBSD isn''t a linux distro. Second, he''s clearly a *nix noob, and you''re only steering him off into the bushes by recommending FreeBSD.

Use Mandrake. It is simple to install and use, and it will come with just about anything you could want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement