Advertisement

Linux recognises only 64Mb of memory?

Started by June 28, 2000 04:00 AM
5 comments, last by DaBit 24 years, 3 months ago
I know this does not belong here, but I will give it a shot: Yesterday I decided to enlarge my Linux root partition, and at the same time upgrade my RedHat 6.0 system (kernel 2.2.5-15) to RedHat 6.2. I did this with a fresh fdisk/format/install. Installing RedHat 6.2 went without troubles, restoring the backups of /home and /usr/local went also fine, but after a while I discovered that my shiny new Linux system recognises only 64Mb of the 192Mb of physical memory I have in my system. Since I am very sure that this has nothing to do with broken memory modules (I did never ever encounter any stability problems with both RedHat 6.0 and Windows 2000 Prof) or overclocking (I restored the system into original state), I thought this was a problem with the standard kernel delivered with RH6.2, so I decided to rebuild the kernel myself, and making it a 686 kernel. Compiling and installing the new kernel went fine, but the system still only recognises 64Mb of RAM. 128Mb is lost. I am running an Athlon 600 @ 700 on a AMD750 (IronGate) based mainboard. Does anyone know what causes this problem?
I got no idea what could be causing this. I''m running SuSE 6.4, 2.2.14 kernel on a Athlon 750/Irongate with 256 megs of RAM. No problems so far, even Windoze sucks it all up. Did you try to compile a "fresh" kernel from the net? Often, distributors tend to modify the kernel sources delivered with their system.

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''t try this as root.)
Advertisement
Nope, I did not yet compile a fresh kernel. I will do that tonight. I think I''ll go for 2.2.16 or so. However, I heard something that adding a parameter to LILO (probably a kernel parameter....). could also solve the problem.

No idea what one. Any ideas?

Try adding something like append="mem=256M" to your lilo.conf.

-tero
This is a hardware specific issue... If you wat linux to see more than 64MB and you have more than 64MB, place this in your lilo.conf file under the image=/boot/vmlinuz... section:

append mem=128MB

Or, when botting into linux and your label for the linux boot is "linux", when you see the lilo boot prompt type:

linux append mem=128MB

Replace 128 with the amount of memory you have. =)

HTH,

johnny p.
adding

append = "mem=192M"

to lilo.conf did the trick. Thanks.
Question: Why didn''t I suffer from this with RedHat 6.0?

Advertisement
Dunno. Most distributions sort it all out for you anyway during the install process. I would have thought RedHat would have done this, being the biggest distribution and all that, but apparantly not.

=> Arfa <=
=> Arfa <=

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement