Advertisement

Why is redhat 9 so slow?

Started by July 28, 2003 12:24 PM
17 comments, last by BitBlt 21 years, 1 month ago
I just installed redhat 9.0 a couple of days ago. I''m running Gnome and it''s slow. Not everything is slow. But when I open up Mozilla, it takes like 5 full seconds to start. OpenOffice is even worse. The machines has Win2K on it as well, and everything pops up immediately on it. Here are my specs: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 1024 MB RAM ATI Radeon 9700 Pro As you see, I shouldn''t have to wait for Mozilla to start up. Also, when I start up a fullscreen game (like TuxRacer), it runs horribly slow and looks horrible. I think I just need to update my graphics card drivers, right? Thanks for the help, I''ve used Linux for years, but didn''t run X-windows very much, now I remember why.
You'll need to upgrade your system in order to run any X-Windows environment at the speed you are used to from using Windows. You'll also have to throw out your notion of "systems dialogs won't have spelling or other obvious errors" if you plan on using a Redhat distro.

[edited by - michalson on July 28, 2003 1:32:24 PM]
Advertisement
It seems silly to me that they (Redhat, Gnome, etc.) are continually adding new things, when the existing things are painfully inefficient.
Michalson is just trolling. Most of it is probably just mis-setup video drivers; it''s unfortunate, but it happens. OpenOffice has always been relatively slow to open, the new beta (1.1) is much quicker.

Oh and make sure that your hostname is set. For some reason this seems to slow down linux boxes.
Also make sure that your HD is not in PIO mode. That would make loading from and swaping to disk much slower than it should be. Use hdparm to check and tweak if necessary.

Hope this helps.
Advertisement
ha, before i ugraded to firebird, my mozilla would take 3 minutes to load, but yeah mozilla firebird is crazy insane fast
I''m Human, yup Human, just look at my neck
Yeah, it may just be a bloated software problem. I''ll install Firebird when I get a chance and see how that does. It may be a while, because I really don''t use Linux in graphics mode that often. That''s probably why I avoided even installing Gnome or KDE for so long.
Redhat is horribly bloated.

Gentoo is much better, or Libranet.

Or even slackware for that matter.

"Few creatures of the night have captured our imagination like vampires..." Godsmack: Vampires.
(c) 2003 DigiAC - My solo company in progress.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
"bloated" is meaningless and is a word trolls use.

mozilla always takes a long time to start. as someone suggested, use firebird.

openoffice is also notorious for startup times. Complain to the OOo people, maybe they''ll fix their POS software.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement