Advertisement

2 More Red Hat q's

Started by July 27, 2003 12:21 PM
1 comment, last by kordova 21 years, 1 month ago
1. I''m running RH 9 on a laptop with a native display of 1600x1200 but when I choose a smaller resolution it just shrinks the screen leaving a black border around everything, all icons, text etc ending up the same size. Is there a way to circumvent this and run it as it should, expanding to fit the screen? 2. I''ve dl''ed the Mozilla Firebird tar.gz and unzipped/tarred(?) it. In the folder I ran "MozillaFirebird", a 2.9k file which informed me that it was an executable text file. I ran it (and am using firebird now) but is it not installed correctly or am I accessing the app incorrectly? Thanks much in advance.
Usually that first problem you are describing gets fixed with a BIOS option, or at least that is the case with my Thinkpad T20, as for mozillafirebird, it doesn''t matter where it is installed, as long as you can know where the directory and executable are, and you install any plugins that you need to in its directory(flash,crossover plugin, etc)
Advertisement
The laptop uses an LCD display. Unlike your normal CRT monitor an LCD has actual physical pixels (3 little rectangles grouped into a square that show red, green and blue). This means there is a "native" resolution for an LCD, the number of pixels it actually has. In order to display any other resolution one of two things must be done (neither of which is done by software). Either it just uses the pixels needed for that resolution (leaving a black border of unused pixels), or it can expand the lower resolution image to fill the whole screen using a high quality hardware resizing (this can lead to the image appearing fuzzy however). Some older laptops (or laptops with not so good video chipsets) can''t do this, those that can normally have a key combination to switch (look in your manual)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement