🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Initialisation at battle start? Classes?

Started by
5 comments, last by d000hg 20 years, 11 months ago
What with not understanding DLLs, what''s the deal with doing this using lots of classes and OOP stuff? So I have one overall class Bot I need to instantiate? On a related note can we maybe get time to initialise before the fight starts, to allocate memory, load data files or such things? I mean before we can see the arena or anything. Do we have a decision on what''s going to happen and when yet? [On a complete off-topic thought, how about a sub-competition where we CAN hack the system rather than using the interface? You''d see bots teleporting and having extra turns maybe? Though it''d probably end up as a battle over system resources - isn''t that what viruses started out as, a game of sorts?]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by d000hg
What with not understanding DLLs, what''s the deal with doing this using lots of classes and OOP stuff? So I have one overall class Bot I need to instantiate?

Well, each persons approach may differ. For you a single class may do, but It would probably be a more efficient (and easier to debug) method to create different classes for all of the bot''s functions, and set the ''Dll Entry Point'' to call into your tree of classes.

A dll is (as far as I know) exactly the same as a static library (Except it''s dynamic) or, if you will, an exe with no main function - just the function and class code.

On a related note can we maybe get time to initialise before the fight starts, to allocate memory, load data files or such things? I mean before we can see the arena or anything.

It would seem insane not to be given the chance to initialise, and given the comments I believe were made about reading script file during initialisation, there is.

[On a complete off-topic thought, how about a sub-competition where we CAN hack the system rather than using the interface? You''d see bots teleporting and having extra turns maybe? Though it''d probably end up as a battle over system resources - isn''t that what viruses started out as, a game of sorts?]

This wouldn''t work, as the first bot to run would simply set the opponents health to zero, and vice-versa. Also, the challenge with developing ai is that the ''Agent'' only has limited perception. If the world is totally accesible and it can do whatever it wants, there is no challenge.
Patience is a virtue.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Xgkkp
If the world is totally accesible and it can do whatever it wants, there is no challenge.

Like the AI in Starcraft...

[edited by - sly on July 21, 2003 11:20:58 PM]
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
quote: Original post by Sly
Like the AI in Starcraft...

Unfortunately, I have never played Starcraft. I''m a bit short of cash to buy it Budget too, I tried to get my brother to when he bought a bunce of budget stuff, but he didn''t

The AI in Starcraft can always see the entire map. This is how the AI knows exactly where to rush at the start of every melee or free-for-all game. It is also how the AI knows exactly where you have gone when you pick up your Terran base and fly it elsewhere.

Being able to see the entire map is an attempt to make up for a lack of the I an AI. Smoke and mirrors is all it is.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Sounds like most RTS games before it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement