🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New version of demo available

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
I may have fixed the majority of the crashes and problems that everyone has been experiencing. I think there will still be some issues with people using older video cards (i.e. TNT2), but I hope more people are able to use the demo without it crashing or causing problems. The download is now only 1.59mb. I decided to switch the bot model to another model I was using during development. It makes things a little more "cute" I guess. http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/gdarena/gdarenabin.zip If you have a problem, don't just say you have a problem. I want two things: machine specs and a detailed process of how the crash came about and when (i.e. what steps did you take to achieve your crash).

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
Very nice. No flickering black polygons. A lot smaller. No crash on exit. No running through rocks. Well done. I think it is ready for option #1 in the poll.

The animation does not seem to be time-based (they animate VERY quickly on fast systems), but that is a minor issue. Yeah, it does look cute.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Yeah, the animations are a bit weird. I don''t know if its intential, but there''s disks displaying underneath the bots. Rather distracting. Sometimes it disappears.

Here''s a screenshot: http://hideout.cjb.net/Arena.jpg

The bots seem to flicker on my system (not to often) compared to the older version which did not. Are you loading invalid animation data? I''ve had that happen a few times when I delt with MD3s.

Program sometimes crashes during loading. Typical "GameDev Arena has encountered a problem" error.

-----
WinXP & SP 1
DX 9.0a
GeForce 3 Ti200 /w 44.03 drivers
AMD 1.6GHz
1.0GB PC2700 RAM
-----
It loads faster and they don''t run through the rocks anymore They shoot through them though, should they?

During their fire-the-weapon-quickly-ten-times-in-the-beginning-of-the-game stage, they often shoot one or more shots in a direction they''re not facing. This usually happens when the red guy is aiming downwards (then one of his shots goes upwards), and the blue guy usually aims downwards but fires a few to the left (90 degree angle). I don''t think this is machine specific though, so I don''t think any specs would help.
quote: Original post by TheGhost
Yeah, the animations are a bit weird. I don''t know if its intential, but there''s disks displaying underneath the bots. Rather distracting. Sometimes it disappears.

Err, those are the identifiers for the bots. That''s how we tell which one is red and which one is blue. Yeah, in this version of the demo the bots themselves are red and blue, but it is still easier to tell them apart by the coloured disc. The partially disappearing disc is simply a case where the disc intersects the ground mesh or gets too close and you see z-buffer fighting.
- Animations are too fast too;
- Rock collisions seems to be fixed, lasers are now in yellow (good), but still go through obstacles?
- Still no option to restart a match after it''s ended (have to quit and run it again);
- Flickering discs under bots;
- Occasionnal crashes (which i didn''t have in the previous version) when running the exe. It always happens at load time.

Y.
The Exe Never runs. (The first version did and still does)

this is the Error Signature windows gave:
AppName: gdarena.exeAppVer: 1.0.0.1ModName: glu32.dllModVer: 5.1.2600.0Offset: 00006be5 

Though I have been having problems with OpenGl recently, I think I just need a whole Re-format of my pc

PIII 800mhz
Geforce 2 (Gts I think)
256mb of ram
Windows Xp
media\models\bentree\bentree2.tga is the odd-sized texture (256x254). Could this possibly cause issues with some video drivers?

Xgkkp, try this updated texture and see if it helps. I've changed it 256x256. I'm curious if some systems do not like the odd-sized texture.

[edited by - Sly on July 17, 2003 10:51:57 AM]
I''ll have to download it tonight and try it out...altho I don''t know how hopeful I am for it now since you mentioned older cards having problems, I only have a TNT2 Vanta 16MB that came with my HP.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
quote: Original post by Sly
media\models\bentree\bentree2.tga is the odd-sized texture (256x254). Could this possibly cause issues with some video drivers?

Xgkkp, try this updated texture and see if it helps. I''ve changed it 256x256. I''m curious if some systems do not like the odd-sized texture.

[edited by - Sly on July 17, 2003 10:51:57 AM]

I thought I fixed that.. I must not have copied the correct file. I''d appreciate it if people whose systems are crashing could try changing the size of that texture to 256x256 and let me know if it works. I can''t fix the download from work right now, but I will tonight.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement