Advertisement

Modem Troubles in Mandrake

Started by July 14, 2003 01:21 PM
7 comments, last by Aphelion 21 years, 1 month ago
Hey there, I''m having trouble getting KPPP to intialize my modem in mandrake... I have a smartlink 5600 mdc internal modem... When I tell KPPP to dial the log just sits there saying expecting ok. I''ve tried playing with different configs, but nothing is working right and the terminal doesn''t work either... Any thoughts? Oh yeah, the query modem command works fine. Thanks
| The Hitchhiker''s Guide to Programming |"That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die."-H.P. Lovecraft
Oh yeah, mandrake keeps putting my modem in the ''unknown devices'' tab in the hardware profiles, and there isn''t any configure option. My computer manufacturer says that my modem and mandrake should be compatible, so what''s going on?
| The Hitchhiker''s Guide to Programming |"That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die."-H.P. Lovecraft
Advertisement
I could be wrong, but from the information I found with Google for "smartlink 5600 linux", it appears to be what''s commonly called a winmodem (a modem that uses the CPU to do all of the work, so it requires special support by the OS). I can''t get Mandrake''s website to load so I cannot check their hardware database, but I doubt they official support your modem. However, it appears Archtek has created Linux drivers for at least some of their winmodems, so take a look on any disks that came with the hardware or at their website for drivers and possible documentation (both Archtek''s and Smartlink''s sites appear to be down for different reasons at the moment, so I couldn''t check for you).

Okay great, I went and found some linux drivers, but I''m a complete linux noob and I''m getting errors when I try to run make. I''m trying to do what the errors tell me to do like setting the KERNEL_INCLUDES but it''s still not working, and I''m not too sure what I''m doing anyhow
Any thoughts?
I may be wrong here, but it looks like you may need the kernel source installed to build the drivers. IIRC, with Mandrake it''s on disk 3, and isn''t installed by default. It should be in the rpmdrake list though.
Hi
I have SmartLink 5600 HamrModem(winm on board chip)
on laptop 2200t Clevo/Kapok

do some like this in driver directory
vi Makefile
enter to edit or insert type i or what you do
edit line to correct path but in most cases it is simlink
KERNEL_INCLUDES=/path/to/linux/include
then esc then ZZ
then make
then make install-amr or what option see in provided manual
it will make devices and sim links and install correct files in right places.
Good luck

Can''''t be root?Reboot!
mount -r /home/hell
Can't be root?Reboot!mount -r /home/hell
Advertisement
Hmmm, okay, well I was forced to download a 2002 driver because the 2003 driver kept stopping before it was finished... anyhow, I've intstalled the kernel source and edited the make file but I still get a bunch of errors when I run make... argh! I'll keep looking for a 2003 version, but does anyone have any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?
By the way, my kernel version is 2.4.21 and the 2002 says 2.4 only...

[edited by - aphelion on July 20, 2003 8:57:30 PM]
Okay, well I found a new updated driver floating around, and I compiled it, installed it and configured the country, but still nothing is working. Mandrake still lists it in unknown devices and it won''t dial... any thoughts?
Does the output of `dmesg` show any errors after you load the module using `modprobe slmodem`? Ensure that you''re giving kppp the correct device - something like /dev/ttySL0. Consider contacting linux-support@smlink.com.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement