🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
OKAY guys, STOP ASKING QUESTIONS and LET KEVIN MAKE THE DAMN THING!

I''ve kept up with this thread all the way, and most of these posts aren''t important, and will be answered as soon as you let kevin be and he gets it released. C''mon, I want this contest started, don''t you? As many questions as I have also, I''m just going to wait it out until it begins. Hopefully you''ll do the same from now on. Kev said that he may have had it released this weekend. Let him get it for this upcoming week.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
Advertisement
quote: Original post by RapidStunna
OKAY guys, STOP ASKING QUESTIONS and LET KEVIN MAKE THE DAMN THING!

I''ve kept up with this thread all the way, and most of these posts aren''t important, and will be answered as soon as you let kevin be and he gets it released. C''mon, I want this contest started, don''t you? As many questions as I have also, I''m just going to wait it out until it begins. Hopefully you''ll do the same from now on. Kev said that he may have had it released this weekend. Let him get it for this upcoming week.

I agree... most of the questions are either what you said, or have been answered five times already (mostly be people who have not read through this thread).

Maybe edit the OP to clarify?
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
quote: Original post by thelurch
*Shakes head*
Some people just like unnecessary work!
Heh.

To explain my position: Wouldn''t it be cool to have bots fighting just like humans do? As great as the AI is in a game like Unreal, the bots basically ''know'' where all of the other players are, even if they cannot see them in their view. It is a ''fake'' AI, because it is dependant on factors that humans or real fighting robots would not have.

Jason Doucette - online resume page: www.jasondoucette.com
projects / games | real-time graphics | artificial intelligence | world records | wallpapers / desktops / backgrounds
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884-1962
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
The screenshot idea is great, but just really isn''t inline with this particular contest.
Just an update..

The GDArena is being baselined and will not be modified anymore for new additions or features. However, defects and gameplay issues will still be fixed.

What I''ve added or modified from feedback in this thread:

• Locked the framerate to an unknown-to-you FPS. Bots (at the moment) have 0.01 seconds to execute their code. If this time is passed, the GDArena lets you know.
  • Line of sight. Obstructions now block a bot from seeing an enemy when the enemy is behind the obstruction.
  • Feedback when hit by weaponry. Your bot now knows when it gets hit by a bullet or other weaponry. How this is done will be explained, as this introduces some limitations in coding.
  • Modification of the FOV. The FOV is smaller than originally planned.
  • Reduction of bot size. The size of the bots has been reduced. This is in conjunction with the FOV reduction.
  • Reduction of battle time. The time of each battle has now been reduced to 3:00 (3 minutes) from 5:00 (5 minutes). In all my testing, my test bots have never used up more than 3 minutes to either kill each other or themselves.
  • Reduction in maximum ammunition. The amount of ammunition you receive has been reduced. We''ll see how this goes.

This contest will be interesting.. the GDArena itself is only a prototype, but it''s good enough to be used in a contest like this. Basically, everyone''s a guinea pig...we''re going to find out who the best guinea pig is.
  • Admin for GameDev.net.

Let me be the first guinea pig to thank you for the effort you have put into this contest and thread. Can''t wait to see how this all turns out.
    Any idea on when this contest will start? I won''t be here the next three days and I don''t want it to start without me

Sounds like a lot of fun, can''t wait
    pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
    quote: Original post by Xtremehobo
    Any idea on when this contest will start? I won''t be here the next three days and I don''t want it to start without me

Sounds like a lot of fun, can''t wait

It won''t start in the next three days. You''ll be fine.

Admin for GameDev.net.

If you want to see what this thing is like in realtime, you can download the demo at http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/gdarena/gdarenabin.zip.

Note, this isn't the final exe. Things will change and you may experience a crash on exit. Post questions, comments, etc here.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Woo woo, well done!

Ran flawlessly on my Radeon 9700 Pro. Didn't experience any crash or anything.

The bots didn't seem to collide with the obstacles, at least not every time. The "trees" were blocking, but their radius seems to be quite small. It often happens that a bot is under a tree, and you can no longer see it. The rocks didn't seem to block at all.

Your test bots are really dumb (most of the time, they do themselves more damage than the opponent!), but they were fun to watch. It'll be very interesting to see what everybody can come up with.

No crash at the end, but i didn't see an option to start a match again; had to quit/launch again many times.

Y.

[edited by - Ysaneya on July 14, 2003 4:10:00 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement