Advertisement

Linux for PS2

Started by June 11, 2003 12:33 AM
7 comments, last by Sidepocket Pro 21 years, 3 months ago
I just found this out. It intrest me that there is Linux for a gamming console. I could program alot of features using this puppy. However, does anyone use this? If so, what is it like. Is there a diffrence between kernnels, comands, file-storage, games, ect? Morpheus: Keeper of Dreams A game that will change the way you precive RPG Games forever... Coming Soon to PC!
-----------Morpheus: Keeper of DreamsA game that will change the way you precive RPG Games forever...Coming Soon to PC!
well the only thing I really know about ps 1&2 development station is under linux.. but all is in japan, so good luck to try to learn about it.
there are many packages to install, and i''ve never succeeded to have well all of these (some magazine provide it some times=.

fratt
Advertisement
really?

i just don''t understand why people who don''t have a clue; just have to answer with misinformation....

ps2linux is alive an well right here in north america with english docs and everything.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
quote: Original post by jenova
really?

i just don''t understand why people who don''t have a clue; just have to answer with misinformation....

well, you''d better read better ! this is not misinformation, this is my information of what I have. i said i only know ... not there is only ...

maybe my english ? or yourS...

lol

quote:
ps2linux is alive an well right here in north america with english docs and everything.

where to find it ?
Go to sony's site they have info about it.

http://www.us.playstation.com/hardware/more/SCPH-97047.asp

[edited by - odizzy on June 12, 2003 10:37:00 AM]
quote: Original post by Fratt
well, you''d better read better ! this is not misinformation, this is my information of what I have. i said i only know ... not there is only ...

maybe my english ? or yours...

I think you said it''s all in Japanese, but there''s also releases in the UK and US. (Vous l''avez dit est tous écrit dans le Japonais, non? Ce n''est pas vrai. Il est disponible en anglais aussi.)

You English is disjoint. It is hard to translate from French to English because of the subtle but important differences in common phrases. e.g. In French you would say, <<J''ai 25 ans>> which literally in English is "I have 25 years" and makes no sense. Likewise, the English phrase, "I am 25 years old" literally translated to French is something like <<Je suis de 25 ans>> which I am sure is highly unusual if it makes any sense at all.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
Off topic--I never really enjoyed French enough to study it longer than necessary for a passing grade. In fact, it was the last class I took in college (talk about putting it off--3rd semester French after 6 years not using it was funny). Just my personal aside...

Anyway...Just to make sure you know, Linux on PS2 is just that; it does not make the PS2 some sort of game development station with which to create store-shelf quality games, just whatever you''d produce on a normal Linux box. At least, this is what I have read.
The Tyr project is here.
quote: Original post by OctDev
Anyway...Just to make sure you know, Linux on PS2 is just that; it does not make the PS2 some sort of game development station with which to create store-shelf quality games, just whatever you''d produce on a normal Linux box. At least, this is what I have read.

From the FAQ:

quote:
Q: Can I program PlayStation 2 Games under Linux (for PlayStation 2) ?

A: Yes, you can program your own games that will work under Linux (for PlayStation 2). Software that you develop can also take advantage of the PlayStation 2 high performance graphics hardware.

You might even want to consider submitting your game to a competition such as the Independent Games Festival''s annual competition, which accepts entries on the PS2Linux platform.

Please note however that you cannot make your own CDs or DVDs that will operate with a PlayStation 2.

And also:

quote:
Q: Is the PlayStation 2 specific hardware available under Linux (for PlayStation 2)?

A: Yes. The PlayStation 2 System Manuals (provided) include detailed specifications on the vector processing units VU0 and VU1, the DMA Controller, the Emotion Engine CPU, the Graphics Synthesizer (GS) and the IPU (MPEG decode assist). Software libraries, tools, device drivers, source code and examples are provided to show how to access this hardware.

The PlayStation 2 contains a subsystem for operating peripherals and audio including the SPU2 (Sound Processing Unit), the IOP, the HDD, the DVD drive, controllers, memory cards, USB and other peripherals. The hardware specification for these units is not disclosed. The Runtime Environment provided on DISC 1 includes binary software device drivers for controlling these hardware units. Source code for the Runtime Environment is proprietary and will not be disclosed. However, DISC 2 contains Linux device drivers (with source code) which show how to access all these devices through the Runtime Environment interface. This gives the developer access to the functionality of all the devices but not the complete hardware specification.

At this time, we have no plans to release an i.Link (1394) driver.

The same FAQ mentions that it is possible in most cases to get almost the same performances with Linux and the professional dev kit. Sadly the EULA forbids the redistribution on CD/DVD of a game made with Linux for PS/2.

You can check it out at http://playstation2-linux.com/.

Hope this helps.
"Please note however that you cannot make your own CDs or DVDs that will operate with a PlayStation 2."

I guess that is what I was trying to say.

"The same FAQ mentions that it is possible in most cases to get almost the same performances with Linux and the professional dev kit."

I was not aware of that, I''ll have to peruse the FAQ; from what I have read, it seems that most people have said that is specifically NOT the case, so I''ll go check that out.
The Tyr project is here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement