🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What do I need to write C code?

Started by
27 comments, last by /\/\AKKO 24 years, 3 months ago
What the hell do you expect for $50?

And its in the EULA, which everyone _should_ be reading.

Even with VC++ non-pro, you cant ask people to pay for your products, its the same with CodeWarrior, except
A)Codewarrior costs less.
B)Codewarrior comes with serveral online books.

I dont see what youre poking at, youre disappointed becuase you cant sell something you made with a non-professional version of a product?

You can distribute it, no problem, just not sell.

Advertisement
quote:
What the hell do you expect for $50?

See below.

quote:
And its in the EULA, which everyone _should_ be reading.

Amen.

quote: Even with VC++ non-pro, you cant ask people to pay for your products, its the same with CodeWarrior, except
A)Codewarrior costs less.
B)Codewarrior comes with serveral online books.

VC++ 6.0 Standard, which is the step down from Professional, *does* let you distribute/sell. It's the "Learning Edition" (that is free with many books) that doesn't. I recently bought VC6 Standard for $135 Canadian (about $97 US), and it even came with the MSDN CDs, a 250 page book, and a $50(US) rebate! That brings the overall price to about $47 US. THAT'S what I expect for $50!

aig

Edited by - An Irritable Gent on May 9, 2000 5:37:32 PM
aig
I don''t own a MAC although it''s a killer for graphics!
But to get back on my question: Compiler?

VC++ the best choice or NOT? Don''t care about the price tag
just like to know which compiler rocks!

/\/\AKKO
I''ve already stated what I want for $50 - a compiler that has the EULA on the outside or states that you can''t share what you make with it. Read my post. BTW, the EULA is inside the box (which once you open, no store will take back) on the CD which displays the EULA while you are installing it. Kind of a paradox, eh?

Code Warrior costs $350.
Visual C++ - $200-$300.
Libraries I''ve seen that support Code Warrior - 1
Libraries I''ve seen that support Visual C++ - priceless

I''ve also not said that Code Warrior bites big dirt balls, I''m saying that metrowerks deceptively advertised the learning edittion. That is enough to turn me off. How do you patch it - buy the next version at full price?

Macco:

VC++ rocks, and most programming libraries support it.
For anyone interested, the EULA for VC++6.0 Standard is here.

You can buy it from amazon.com (or chapters.com, etc) CHEAP. Amazon has it for $76 US. Plus you get a $50 US rebate, so you are only really paying $26 in the long run! As I mentioned before, it also includes this 250 page book and the MSDN (MS Developer Network) CDs. And you can even distribute/sell what you develop. And no, I don''t work for Microsoft or Amazon. I just did my homework before getting a compiler.

This is the way to go in my opinion. You can compare it with the Professional and Enterprise editions here, but keep in mind that Microsoft''s suggested asking price for Pro is $549 (before $50 rebate), and Enterprise is $1299 before rebate.
aig
One caveat about MSVC6 - it appears the next version may be out soon, so you might want to hold off to see. That is perhaps why the price on MSVC6 Standard is so good.

aig
aig
Actually, you may be able to sell the programs you make with Discover Programming, i never bought it so i dont know.

There has to be some difference between VC++ standard and Professional to justify the price.

And we're dealing with someone here who wants to know if he can compile C code with VB...i dont predict that he will be selling anything any time soon.

VC++ standard costs $47, but it doesnt come with serveral online books, which are really worth the $3 if you ask me.(especially for newbies).

Now if you plan on doing WINDOWS-ONLY programming WITH WINDOWS-ONLY API'S, then VC++ will be the best deal for you. However, if you plan on not jumping right into DX, then i would heavily suggest codewarrior, as the Discover Prgramming edition comes with literally thousands of pages of usefull documentation.

quote: Original Post by Whirlwind
Code Warrior costs $350.
Visual C++ - $200-$300.
Libraries I've seen that support Code Warrior - 1
Libraries I've seen that support Visual C++ - priceless

Well you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You can use any library that you can use in VC++, in CodeWarrior. The one advantage you have in codewarrior, however, is that you can create programs for multiple platforms. CodeWarrior is 100% ANSI compliant.

And the only reason why i am sh-ting on vc++, is because i had the pleasure of erasing 7,000 "^M" from the end of each line in VIM in my last programming project. VC++ has its own form of ASCII or something, its very non-universal.

And you dont need a mac to use the windows version of CodeWarrior...i dont know, if i were you, i would contact Metrowerks to get a free 30 day trial to see if you like that one better.

Edited by - firahs on May 10, 2000 10:28:14 AM
Funny, I don''t see that you can use VC++ libs with CW in the docs anywhere. It must be another oversight by metrowerks. Funny. Also, Code Warrior only imports VC++ ***MAKE*** files, and not project files. Even funnier. Since most engine libs ship with VC++ project files and I don''t recall seeing any .mak files included, you must have to buy VC++, generate the make files so you can import the make file into CW. A riot, to say the least.

You can''t distribute anything you create with CW:Discovery Edittion, according to the EULA. No commercial, freeware, or shareware. Kind of nice if they had mentioned that on the box.

You can blame DOS for the ^M - it is the standerd EOL marker for DOS based operating systems. You then can blame windows for lack of any real scripting utilities. If you had them you could run a one line script using regular expressions across the file to remove those little ^M''s.

You don''t need a Mac to run the window''s version of CW - it comes with the Mac libraries to even compile Mac code under windows - as long as a like library exists for Mac. In other words forget doing cross platform DirectX.
Yes, there is a difference between Standard and Professional. See the comparison chart link in my last post. The most important difference in my opinion is that Standard comes with the regular compiler, and Pro comes with an optimizing compiler.

As for the online books, I think the MSDN is at least as good. 1.3 Gig of documentation (reference, tutorials, examples, etc.) About 250Meg is C/C++, the rest is Java, VB, etc.

The ^M thing was not VCs fault. VCs text is just regular text. I''m not sure what caused it, but loading it in something like Word and resaving as windows text would have fixed it.

aig
aig
quote: Funny, I don''t see that you can use VC++ libs with CW in the docs anywhere. It must be another oversight by metrowerks. Funny. Also, Code Warrior only imports VC++ ***MAKE*** files, and not project files.

Hah, you must know absolutely nothing about this. I shouldnt even bother, but i will.

hmm, maybe because make files are all thats necessary for MAKING a program. It also has something to do with the fact that VC++ project files are VC++ proprietary...suprise.

If you are programming for windows, you can use windows libraries API''s...you just have to chose the proper project type.

quote: You can''t distribute anything you create with CW:Discovery Edittion, according to the EULA. No commercial, freeware, or shareware. Kind of nice if they had mentioned that on the box.

I''ll try to find a copy of this somewhere, with everything else you say being wrong, illl try my chances on this one too.

quote: You can blame DOS for the ^M - it is the standerd EOL marker for DOS based operating systems. You then can blame windows for lack of any real scripting utilities. If you had them you could run a one line script using regular expressions across the file to remove those little ^M''s.

It was coded under windows 2000, and VIM wouldnt let me do that.

quote: You don''t need a Mac to run the window''s version of CW - it comes with the Mac libraries to even compile Mac code under windows - as long as a like library exists for Mac. In other words forget doing cross platform DirectX.

Someone give this man a prize!!!

The mac libraries are an install option if you feel like making programs for mac on you windows pc.

I dont think its CodeWarrior''s fault that you cant make DX programs cross-platform, youll really have to talk to big billy about that one.

Are you done being wrong yet?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement