Advertisement

My IDE idea!

Started by November 14, 2002 02:01 PM
46 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 9 months ago
quote: Original post by Prefect
(Emphasis mine) Please tell me how a system that''s radically different from what the user is used to can be easy to learn...

By eliminating unnecessary tasks, like saving. By focusing on what the user is doing or going to do, rather than what the designer was trying to do (docu-centric applications, SDI, floating toolbars/palettes). By reorganizing internal models while applying the same or similar external models such that new functionality is available (example: Transform the current hierarchical filesystem internally to one big flat directory, then allow the user create directories byt symlink files into place rather than actually copying/moving. Directories now become metadata that users can filter through when searching or performing batch operations, and since files "exist" in directories via symlink - directories essentially become file subject associations rather than locations - they can have multiple metadata entries).

quote: ...and how it gets away without invalidating most (if not all) of their existing experience.

Familiar elements from the GUI paradigm that are worth keeping (and in some cases, worth expanding on) include icons, buttons, 3d shading, drag-and-drop (but consistent; Windows left- and right-mouse button behaviors differ radically), windows, etc.

quote: Apparently you just misunderstood what I said, because your reply isn''t that far from my personal opinion.

quote: The point is that many people are afraid of radical change, even when the final system they would change to is objectively better than what they originally had (and for good reasons like retraining and so on).

Radical internal change. External simplification (it''s just like Windows, but you don''t have to save because the machine will save for you; and you don''t have to worry about moving files around because the machine will track and update all references to them for you; and you don''t have to...) It doesn''t require a whole lot of retraining, but it boosts productivity immensely.

quote: In the end, radical changes are first taken back and then integrated piecewise. That doesn''t mean the change doesn''t occur. But it does reinforce the point that radical change needs to happen slowly, so that it is, in fact, not radical anymore.

Radical change doesn''t need to happen slowly. Those with vested interests in the existing models and uncertainty with regard to the future model think it does, though, and force it to if they have that power. Win16 to Win32 (Windows 95) was a radical change. Not externally, because so many visual elements were similar or identical, but internally: pre-emptive multitasking meant people didn''t have to think about closing open applications before starting others like they did under DOS/Windows 3.x; it meant that developers didn''t need to release the processor every few cycles to give other applications a shot; it meant fewer crashes and more productivity.

My, how short memories are.

quote: Actually, this reminds me of how Linus Torvalds doesn''t accept huge "radical" kernel patches but demands that those be broken up into smaller patches that still make sense.

Exactly how relevant is Linux as a desktop solution? How viable as a big iron solution? I like Linux, but I know exactly why it''s marginalized - lack of radical change, lack of a killer application. It''s not the kernel that''s at fault, though, and Linus isn''t wrong by requesting stepwise patches. It''s the userland applications that could have the most impact on how users view and perceive the system; it''s the infrastructural components like filesystems that can really boost user productivity.

quote: Sure, the IDE can provide that information. Some people might prefer to use the CLI, however. (not to mention automated build-tools running as some background process). They should be able to use the same project files for compilation, so a fallback is necessary.

The IDE and the CLI could use a common repository that defines what tools to use.
... so in the end, the changes won''t be radical after all - at least as far as the user is concerned.

It''s not like I''m opposed to radical change. It''s just that radical change often turns into a blind "let''s start all over" thing, and that''s just non-productive. If you think about how to break up the change, you''re much more likely to be successful. I''m sure you''re aware of that, and I didn''t intend to say anything else originally.

Now... even internal changes tend to happen less quickly than you make it seem, and your Win16 vs. Win32 example shows this. A very big part of the system was still 16-bit code in Win9x - you didn''t have to step that far into the OS code to see that. Today, Microsoft finally have a real 32-bit desktop OS. The change from 16-bit to (real) 32-bit has taken how many years?

Linux has hardly any relevance as a desktop solution, but that completely missed the point which was that radical changes tend to be spread out over time (where time can be very relative) in many different situations, not just UI design.
Oh, and since when are infrastructural components like the filesystem userland apps in Linux?

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Advertisement
Today, Microsoft finally have a real 32-bit desktop OS. The change from 16-bit to (real) 32-bit has taken how many years?

MS had a 32 bit desktop OS with NT 3.5 - in 1994, IIRC.

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote: Original post by Arild Fines
Original post by Prefect
Today, Microsoft finally have a real 32-bit desktop OS. The change from 16-bit to (real) 32-bit has taken how many years?

MS had a 32 bit desktop OS with NT 3.5 - in 1994, IIRC.

First 32-bit Windows was NT 3.1, in 1992 or early 1993…
NT 3.1 was only a server edition. NT 3.5 was the first workstation version.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
... so in the end, the changes won''t be radical after all - at least as far as the user is concerned.

Maybe, maybe not. We really can''t say how much radical change users can put up with until we develop a prototype and put real people in front of the system.

quote: It''s not like I''m opposed to radical change. It''s just that radical change often turns into a blind "let''s start all over" thing, and that''s just non-productive. If you think about how to break up the change, you''re much more likely to be successful. I''m sure you''re aware of that, and I didn''t intend to say anything else originally.

Good point, and I agree. However, sometimes it is time to throw out the existing design completely, like the single CPU PC (time for parallel computing), or the desktop-bound nature of current computing (time for distributed computing).

For the record, I wasn''t attempting to intimate that you were in any way opposed to radical change or a close-minded thinker. I apologize if I came across that way.

quote: Now... even internal changes tend to happen less quickly than you make it seem, and your Win16 vs. Win32 example shows this. A very big part of the system was still 16-bit code in Win9x - you didn''t have to step that far into the OS code to see that.

That doesn''t alter the fact that the changes in Win9x''s internal model allowed developers and users do a lot more with a lot less effort. Whether the code was 16 or 32-bit was and is immaterial to this specific argument.

quote: Linux has hardly any relevance as a desktop solution, but that completely missed the point which was that radical changes tend to be spread out over time (where time can be very relative) in many different situations, not just UI design.

I wasn''t just talking about UI design. Take the hierarchical filesystem. It''s a good abstraction of the way humans store things, but there''s little reason for machines to store them that way today, since memory is bounteous and file attributes can be used as filters. If we made the hierarchy flat (all files in one big directory), but constrained user access to be through a hierarchy of links to the actual files, we could obtain a number of powerful "new" features for free. This isn''t a radical change to the user, or at least not immediately, nor is it a terribly radical change in the nature of data storage. Where it is radical is in the facility of processes and actions that can be performed on data under this paradigm.

Of course, you''re right that too much radical change can result in an alien system. Sometimes that''s a good thing, but often that''s a bad thing. Teaching people a completely new system is not a big problem if the new system is much easier to learn and use, and has a few metaphorical ties to the old system (you can pick up drive-by-wire auto controls in a few minutes/hours, even if you''ve driven standard transmission your whole life).

quote: Oh, and since when are infrastructural components like the filesystem userland apps in Linux?

They''re not, and I didn''t infer that they were. I listed two separate categories: userland apps and infrastructural components.
Advertisement
All right! So we need a killer app with a killer UI to kill Windows...i mean, advance UI design in general?

How do we move from what yall said to something tangible? Who''s going to do this? Who''s going to make these new killer UIs?

I guess I want so much to be able to help, but I feel like I can''t do anything like this, so I get depressed. Talking about all this is good, but its just talk until something is done.

All this talk about radical change...what can *I* do? Anything? What can *WE* do? Anything?
I like the DARK layout!
quote: Original post by BradDaBug
How do we move from what yall said to something tangible? Who''s going to do this? Who''s going to make these new killer UIs?

I guess I want so much to be able to help, but I feel like I can''t do anything like this, so I get depressed. Talking about all this is good, but its just talk until something is done.

Haste brings waste.

quote: All this talk about radical change...what can *I* do? Anything? What can *WE* do? Anything?

Comment. Contribute. Think. What would you like your computer to do (that you think it should be able to do given current technology) that it doesn''t do. It may be decided that your "feature" is too complex or esoteric, but that can''t happen unless we know what your feature is.

Don''t worry, though. Next-gen UIs will be here soon enough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement