Advertisement

Which language is easier for map editor: VC++,Borland C++, Win32 API

Started by March 12, 2000 07:27 PM
4 comments, last by casper 24 years, 6 months ago
Hello fellow gamers, I''m working on a game with other programmers and my task is too create an map editor. I know C++, but I don''t know enough about Borland C++ Builder, VC++, or Win32 programming(non-MFC), to make an intellingent decision about which vendor to use for my editor(gui and coding) ). Since the editor is not a game speed is not an issue. I just need to know which one would be more efficient to use to build the gui and to use as my code base. This is really frustrating because I need to get going and I don''t want to go down an inefficient path when it can be avoided . Your suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks, casper
...for over a thousand years the Jedi Knights have been the guardians of peace and justice..before the dark times..before the EmpireCasper..
choose the compiler you want between visual c++ and borland c++, it doesn''t matter, but personnally would suggest vc++, and of course you will need to use the win32 api to make your editor if you want it to be a windows program. and dont search for the win32 api sdk, it is included in vc++.

cyberg
cyberg- cyberg_coder@hotmail.com- http://members.xoom.com/cybergsoft
Advertisement
I recomend Visaul Basic. Have you ever used it? To create a user interface you need only to click and drag; amazing...simply amazing.

I usually do all my work with the Win32 API and VC++, but for creating things like a map editor I see no reason to not give VB a try. It will save you a lot of time. I''ve found that programming in VB is not much differnt than programming in C++ if you''re useing the Win32 API.
I find C++ Builder especially well suited for applications like map editors. You''ve got the ease of user interface creation of VB, and because it''s in C++, you can leverage existing source code from your game inside the program. And with C++ Builder you need to touch remarkably little of the Win32 API.

It''s just beautiful. ::sob::
Am I the only one that uses a DOS compiler for this?
I am using DJGPP (32 bits C++) to make a map editor. I''ll convert the structs with the pragma pack command.
In my humble opinion, Visual C++ is really pushing its luck calling itself 'Visual' when compared to C++ Builder or even Visual Basic. I recommend one of those 2 environments to make any kind of tool, with C++ Builder preferred as you can cut and paste in your game functions/#include the correct headers to share code/link in libraries from your main code (delete as applicable, dependent on experience level )

Visual C++ makes it a chore to do some of the simplest interface tasks. I remember reading a large section in a textbook on how to get a drop-down combo box onto a toolbar by adding a placeholder control of some other type and then swapping them at runtime in code. In C++ Builder, you just drag one on there. Done.

Edited by - Kylotan on 3/13/00 9:49:33 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement