Advertisement

Should i get Microsoft Visual C++

Started by February 29, 2000 11:21 AM
6 comments, last by Rene 24 years, 6 months ago
I really want to learn DirectX programming but i dont have Visual C++. I have been thinking about buying it (Visual C++), but since it is very expensive, i want to be absolutly sure that it is the right choice. Everybody tells me that, if i want to get into gameprogramming DirectX is the right way to go. Also, DOS games and programs are really dead, no one ever buy a DOS game/program more. It scares the user away. I have been programming in DOS for about 3 years now, and i think it is the right time to advance to DX. So, is Visual C++ the right choice and should i go buy it??? Also, could you tell me the actual price for VC++. -Thanks in advance
Visual C++ is pretty much becoming the industry standard, though there are other compilers such as borland and code warrior that offer some similar features. Personaly I like Visual C++, others don''t because they aren''t familiar with it. Anyway there are a few diffrent versions of visual C++ Introductory, Standard, Professional, and Enterprise. They all have diffrent options and range in price from about $99 to $500. You can check out ebay for educational versions of visual C++ pro, they run about $40 to $60 on there.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Advertisement
Are you still at schooll (like college or universities)

if you are, well listen to this : microsoft ofeer acedemic version of theirs software, it is the same software but they cost a fraction of the ful price.

go to the store and ask the acemic version (you most have a proff than you are a student).

Ps-youmost be full atime at a college or an universities!
I think you should get VC++ .
It is a VERY good compiler
and it supports dx.
I don''t know the price of it.

James Bond
James Bond
Two words - buy it.

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I bought vc++ 6.0 standard ed. for $85 then MS offered a $50 rebate so the package cost me little over $35. The rebate came in a package and I don''t know if MS still offers it. I had this compiler for little over a year and I love it. It comes with a library cds that contain very usefull information. If you want to see this info just go into MS website and check into their library section. MS sent me an updated library cds (3 disks) for no charge. Definitely you can''t go wrong with vc++ for this price.
Advertisement
Yup, MS still has that rebate open...till Dec. 31, 2000 I think.

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
I started with VC++ and then I bought many other dev''t tools because I assumed the RAD approach would make life easier. Only now I can say in all honesty that VC++ is the best of the bunch, it has all the power and lets you go as close up as you need without the extra baggage. Saving time is ok with RAD tools, but you lose something of value, perhaps a kind of intimacy, and you often end up having to delve into the details anyway only you can''t really delve unless you have VC++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement