Advertisement

MMX Tutorial?

Started by February 28, 2000 01:29 AM
1 comment, last by Esap1 24 years, 6 months ago
K, I saw that post about MMX enhanced Alpha Blending, but does any one know of a tutorial just for normal MMX stuff. Like how to make different peices of code run faster, or different curcumstances(?) where you could use MMX. Just an MMX tutorial, thanks a lot guys!
You''re gonna have to learn asm to use MMX. And you''ll find in most cases that just normal x86 instructions will do just fine for speeding things up.

Josh
Advertisement
MMX stands for (M)atrix (M)ath e(X)tensions and makes use of the FPU (floating point unit) on an Intel CPU. it allows the use of other word lengths like 64 and 80 bits as well as rapid execution of simple instructions like multiplication in parallel.

i can''t remember the instructions themselves but you can do things like add 4 16-bit words to 4 other 16-bit words all in one instruction. they''re useful for doing simple repetitive tasks quickly...alpha blending is one example of how they can be used.

while this may sound rather useful, the actual scope of the MMX instructions is rather limited...they''re not really worth learning as far as game programming is concerned unless you''re doing optimizations to a software rendering engine at the assembly instruction level. as well, most compilers will generally do those optimizations for you if you give them the right switch. (-O for gcc, i think)

anyway, hope this helps. you might want to check out Intel''s website; i''m sure they have documentation for you.

----------------------------------------
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
----------------------------------------Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement