🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Teen programmer...just some rambling....

Started by
30 comments, last by yeldarB 24 years, 4 months ago
Muzzafarath:
Nice game!
Cool graphic!
Keep up the good work!

James Bond
James Bond
Advertisement
Thanks mr Bond

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
"I just said I don''t have any books on C programming."

"if u dont have a lot of money look into online books and offline browsers(that way u dont have to wait a lot of time for isp login), the links section of this site has a couple of places for FREE online book sites"

Actually, I don''t have any books on C programming either (a few on C++ though) but I''ve read serval. All I can say is, goto the library - won''t cost you a penny and they have (usually at least) plenty of good books on programming.

"I think, therefore I am...I think"
Muzzafarath, you shouldn''t brag that you don''t have a single book on game programming, but you can make pac-man. Since you used the allegro, all you needed to do was make the actuall game. Most game programming books go into very little detail about how to actually program a game.

*** Triality ***
*** Triality ***
Brag? Wtf, I just said I didn''t have any books about C programming...

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I''m a 20yr old college student, I have only recently (i.e. within the last 18 months) gotten v interested in \blink{games} programming and that''s how I got here...
I want to learn a lot more about game programming (what I''m doing in college is IT but any programming we do is OO), would any of you like to point me in the direction of some \blink{game} programming addresses on the net. Thanx.

"Reality is a hallucination caused by a lack of alcohol!" - klaw
"Reality is a hallucination caused by a lack of alcohol!" - klaw
I''m 15, and I''ve been programming since I was seven (my dad is a proffessor of computer science). A have also been researching 3d graphics (both realtime and non-realtime ) for the past 4-5 years of my life. I am Nathan Vegdahl, by the way. The one who came up with radiosity mapping and wrote the article for this site.
As you can see, age has not much to do with computer skills in this day and age.
Basicly, just keep at it, and you''ll get there Also, don''t work too hard, and don''t try to learn too much at once, otherwise (just like in game development, and school) you''ll burn yourself out. Take it easy and make sure that you understand everything, as opposed to just memorizing bits of code from tutorials.
Also, depending on what kind of programming you want to go into, make certain that you understand the stuff that your programming on the theoretical level (such as in my case, I make you that I know WHY so-and-so code works to rotate a vertex, and WHY so-and-so code works to find a surface normal, etc.) because it will make your life a hell of a lot easier, and you will also be able to optimize the stuff in much better ways that you would have never been able to if you didn''t even know why it worked, so you didn''t know what you could safely change.

Good luck!
Hi. I am 5 years old. I started writing a 3d engine
in LOGO 4 years ago.
Well PUH, I''m 3 months old and I started learning when mum was in her first week of pregnancy!

But really, if you''re interested in learning, there''s lots and LOTS of good resources on the net, and you just have to get one good reference book (REFEREEENCEEE!!!) to back you up when you feel lazy.
Online help for your programming environment will usually have a tidbit on the lingo too, though it''s pretty crappy most of the time.

good sites to check for programming:
www.codeguru.com
Okay, it''s about MFC, and we all know how most people here feel about MFC ( sighhh ), but it also has two complete online books, if I remember correctly - one about Thinking in C++, and the other about programming with the STL ( if you don''t know what it is, you will soon enough when you start learning C++ ).

There''s a whole truckload of tutorials and such around as well, and most of these game programming sites have the occasional language hint or tutorial as well.
( One I personally love is the last Harmless Algorithms on Flipcode about Design Patterns, but that''s pretty advanced stuff ).
Anyways, just have fun learning and programming infinite hello world loops at first, and it''ll all snap into place at a leisurely pace...

GOod luck, and May the Source be With You

~ Mad Keith ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Oh yeah! Well I''m still not born yet, in my moms womb! They put a laptop in here and have a net connection going out through the umbilicle cord ;P
But seriously, I did start learning to program at seven. It was really simple stuff. Hypercard, if you''ve ever heard of that, is what I started out in, and there wasn''t very much programming involved with my first couple of programs (stacks), but there was a little (mainly simple scripting of buttons). Over the next three years I made progressively more and more complex stacks until I got to the point where the things I wanted to do were impossible with hypercard.
So, I learned pascal from my dad at the age of ten, and I learned C/C++ a year later from some books that he gave me, and from his helping me about half the time and explaining stuff to me. I then learned ASM a year after that, and I now use both C and ASM as my two main programming languages (although, not much ASM, most of what I do is purely in C).
Anyway, at the same time I was learning pascal I started looking around for computer graphics stuff, and from that point on I continuiously and obsessively gobbled up all info on CG that I could.
So, like I said, it''s not like I was programming 3d graphics at 7 or anything, but that''s when I started doing simple stuff, which paved the way for the rest of my learning (which, as with all computer programmers, no matter how experienced they are, is still continuing).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement