Advertisement

BSD

Started by March 25, 2002 04:44 PM
11 comments, last by Strife 22 years, 6 months ago
Well, I finally did it: I downloaded FreeBSD for a try. Anyway, I just wanted to actually know, besides personal preferences, what makes BSD any better than Linux. Also, I''ve gotta say, the BSD Daemon is way cooler than Tux. I''m sorry, but he is. Tux is cool and all, but he''s not nearly as cool as the BSD Daemon And one more thing: Is OpenBSD any better than FreeBSD or NetBSD? AFAIK, OpenBSD is supposed to be the one geared to security, right? Then what''s NetBSD out there for? rm -rf /bin/laden
Welcome to the club
I like FreeBSD better than Linux because it seems to run better on older hardware. It also has an extremely cool packaging system. Finally, it has a much nicer license (that''s debatable, of course ...). Really, there''s nothing about FreeBSD which makes it amazingly better than Linux, but it just feels "cleaner" overall.

With regards to the different BSD variants: FreeBSD is supposed to be the most optimized for x86 hardware, OpenBSD is supposed to be the most secure, and NetBSD is supposed to be the most portable.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Advertisement
Well, I''ve decided not to do too much with BSD at this moment, because downloading takes too damn long. It seems pretty nice, though. When I''m at college and have high-speed access, I''ll definately be doing more experimenting with BSD

Now I''ve attempting to do some stuff with Debian again. It''s a pretty promising distro, I think, and the nice thing about it as opposed to Slackware is that it is much more actively maintained... We''ll see how much I like it though...

rm -rf /bin/laden

I like the BSD''s because the code gets reviewed before it is released which makes for a more stable operating system, unlike other unix alternatives which are hacked up then given out. Also the ports system is pretty sweet too.

Thats a cute picture and I''ll probably download it when I get home, but I find posting pics annoying as hell.

Also, does anyone know how the bsd subscription works? Do I pay $25 plus full price of cd, or is it just $25 and they will send the cd? The description on http://www.bsdmall.com isn''t real clear about this. I''d like to buy the cd to help them out.

Thanks!

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
BSD = Bull-Shit Distribution?

---------------

#define TRUE 0
#define FALSE 1
//MUAHAHAHAHAAAA!
Advertisement
quote: Original post by AdmiralBinary
BSD = Bull-Shit Distribution?

I don''t think you have the name right, its called NoBSD (No Bull-Shit Distribution) Which is something you can''t say for other unix like environments
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
quote: Original post by CmndrM
Well, I finally did it: I downloaded FreeBSD for a try. Anyway, I just wanted to actually know, besides personal preferences, what makes BSD any better than Linux.

The installation ??

As of BSD 4.3, it could scare the shit out of you
Hello from my world
FreeBSD sounds nice, two questions,

1) What exactly is the speed differnce between the two( I tried I few sites but none seemed to give good figures).

2) If i develop a app on FreeBSD how portable will it be too other systems(Linux, Win32).
Group Who
Not sure about graphical applications, but a console application written for Linux can be executed by FreeBSD if the Linux "emulation" port is installed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement