Advertisement

Writing Video Codecs / Self-Extracting .EXE files

Started by February 23, 2000 01:46 PM
1 comment, last by kieren_j 24 years, 6 months ago
Hi. I have a couple of ideas for AVI video compression codecs, and want to learn how to write them. When I look in the DDK I find out basic things like: * they''re .drv files * you must add a "(whatever)" entry to [drivers] in system.ini * use driverproc ...but i''d really like to see some examples of this in C++!! Self extracting executables - a couple of questions: When creating the files: (1) is a data file appended to a template file? (2) are there "header" and "footer" template files; "insert data here"? (3) are you required to write certain elements of the file as well - the PE header, etc.? Has anybody worked with this sort of technology? I am looking to develop some setup software. Thanks, Kieren Johnstone FIRE@WORKS
Doesn''t anybody know anything about this??
Advertisement
If you mean SFX file archives with "Self extracting executables", take first a compression algorithm like zLib. It''s completely free. You can get it from http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/
Packing:
Now pack the files and copy them to the end of the unpacking executable. The last bytes have to be the position and the length of the packed data.
Unpacking:
The unpack program opens its own exe, reads the length and the position from its own, copys the compressed data to a buffer and decompresses it.

You want a sample?
No problem: download my project Golden Cow from members.xoom.com/BotGSoft/ It uses these method.

B.o.t.G.
--------

Writer of
- VQAtoAVI, the conversation utility for C&C
- Golden Cow, the BO2K attacher
B.o.t.G.--------Writer of- VQAtoAVI, the conversation utility for C&C- Golden Cow, the BO2K attacher

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement