Advertisement

Which one is better?

Started by February 21, 2000 03:14 PM
4 comments, last by Sphere 24 years, 7 months ago
I don''t know if this is Off Topic or not, but I can''t find any other place to ask. Which one has a better chance? A 3D Demo showing today''s technology or a complete game with 1992 ~ 1995 technology to be included in my resume? Can anybody give me some advice? Thanks a lot for the time.
If it''s going on a resumé, you want modern technology towards the top. Normally companies like if you''ve made a complete game, but they''d rather you have the capabilities to create a game that takes advantage of newer technologys then you just creating a game that works. But, IMHO, I''d make a demonstration of the 3d technology, and ALSO put on the complete game you made. It shows that you can use modern day technology, and it also shows you can make a complete game. Hope that helps - Cloxs.
Advertisement
From what I''ve read and the people I''ve talked to, companies want to see a completed game. This shows them that you can complete something. Which in this industry is a big deal. So this should be one of the highlights of your demo reel. You should also use the demos of newer technology but give them less emphasis. If you can complete a game, and a demo of new tech there is no reason why you couldn''t complete a game with the new tech. Companies will realize this and respect it.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
On a lot of company websites, such as blizzard''s, they ask for a demo rather than a complete game. They also look for people who know how to use modern technology, so I''d reccommend using the 3d demo.
D:
I depends on the game. I don''t think you come very far just by showing a tetris clone. At least not if don''t do anything extra with it.

Just show them whatever you are proud of, and hope they like it too.
Which ever you do, make sure it''s bug free. That''ll be more impressive than a demo or a game with obvious bugs.

One thing though, be sure to be able to explain exactly what''s going on in your demo/game. Some unsavory individuals have been known to use other peoples demo code. Needless to say game companies don''t like this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement