Advertisement

Linux for PS2

Started by March 07, 2002 09:42 AM
6 comments, last by Sean99 22 years, 6 months ago
I don''t frequent this forum very often, but I took a look at recent threads and it seems like this might be news here. Sean
"we need common-sense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God. And those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench." - GW Bush"no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." - Article VI of the US Constitution.
That''s just stupid, IMO. I''ll stick to the Linux thats on my computer. Why would anyone want to put linux on their playstation?
Advertisement
Yeah, I got the email notification about this today. I went right out and pre-ordered (sigh, I''m a nerd )

quote: Original post by Laz
That''s just stupid, IMO. I''ll stick to the Linux thats on my computer. Why would anyone want to put linux on their playstation?

Why not? $200, another computer to play around with; a sweet console at that. I''ve never been able to program for a console, so I''d like to experiment.

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they''re organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
quote: Original post by Laz

I desagree, there is nothing stupid at trying to learn something new and have a sense of self accomplishment if you can install Linux on the PS2 and develop for that platform.
I was interested too, but the fact that Sony is the one that release the development kit means that it for sure will be Closed source , the library will not be the complete same libraries as the one purchased by the commercial developers and it doesn''t allow you to create DVD or CDROM with the programs that you''ll develop
I have a Sega Dreamcast too and I''m now involved in development and Linux installation on the Sega Dreamcast.The advantage is threefold:
1) The Dreamcast is less complicated that the PS2
2) There is a lot more documentation on the subject
3) All the software is free ( as in speach and beer ) and you can burn bootable CDROM with your created applications

and everyone said xbox is like a pc
ps2 sux
quote: Original post by Fitore
and everyone said xbox is like a pc
ps2 sux

???

How does a hard drive, a network adapter, a keyboard and a mouse make a console "sux"? Last I checked my PS2 was a great little system with some really cool games, how does a little extra hardware do anything but increase the geek factor?

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Advertisement
Addendum to forum rules: No platform bashing. If you think Linux on PS2 isn''t cool, keep it to yourself. We''re exploring possibilities here, something that doesn''t happen by being pessimistic.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Like WayfarerX, I ordered my PS2 Linux Kit too. Sunday, March 10 to be exact. Anyone who wantd to know the main reasons for purchasing this kit, and where to get detailed info should head to www.playstation2-linux.com

Edem Attiogbe

[edited by - KwamiMatrix on March 14, 2002 12:29:39 AM]
Edem Attiogbe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement