🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Royalties on published programs?

Started by
7 comments, last by LackOfKnack 24 years, 4 months ago
Recently I was told that if you compile and publish something you make with VC++ then you have to pay some kind of $1000 fee or something like that to Microsoft, unless you''ve got Enterprise or something. I''d never heard of this before. How does this work exactly? I can''t find anything in the help files. Also, when I was going to download the free BCC 5.5, I saw in the agreement: "You may reproduce and distribute, in executable form only, programs which you create using the Software without additional license or fees, subject to all of the conditions in this License Agreement." Does this mean that I can compile programs and stuff, but I have to release them as freeware or something like that? Thanks for your help.
Lack
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Advertisement
Oh, and speaking of licensing, is legal to modify someone else''s agreement and use it as your own for your own games and stuff? Like could I take the Descent II license agreement and change it around a little so it fits my game and use it, or is that illegal?

Thanks.

Lack
Lack
You don''t have to pay any fees to distribute the programs you make with Visual C++ Standard edition and higher. You can also use the MSDN source code examples that are included with the software.

Borland is the same way.

Domini
Thanks! Would you happen to know if there''s anything else about Academic versions that I should be careful of?

And what''s with that line in the license that I quoted? What does that mean exactly?

Lack
Lack
You can''t sell applications made with education versions.

As for "You may reproduce and distribute, in executable form only, programs which you create using the Software without additional license or fees" says that you can sell your app without owing Borland anything.

Borland probably does not claim responsiblity for what you make, and that is what I am guessing the "subject to all of the conditions in this License Agreement" means. I don''t use Borland any more, so I don''t have the actual agreement. If you have it, read it and tell me what it says.

Domini
Ah! Okay, now I got it. As for the rest of the agreement, I think you''re correct about them not claiming responsibility.

Thanks again!

Lack
Lack
Okay, I want to clear something up. Some people might be confused about the difference between "academic" versions and "educational" versions of software.

Educational versions of software are meant to be used by someone who is just learning the software package and does not want to spend a lot of money on it. They are generally limited in features. Think of these as "demos." These can be purchased by anybody.

Academic versions of software are the exact product, but sold at a much cheaper price and *only* sold to students. The licenses of Academic version generally aren''t different than that of their retail counterparts, but I''m sure there are exceptions.

FYI, the license for the academic versions of Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Pro and Borland C++ Builder 5.0 Pro do not restrict you in any way. They are identical to the full retail versions.

Just thought someone might like to know...

Josh
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
Academic versions of any Microsoft Products (including but not limited to: Visual C++, Visual Basic, Windows NT Server, Visual Studio, MSDN) do not allow you to sell what you make with them. They are for academical use only, for learning on. If you plan on selling what you do, you must buy the retail version of the product.

Its this way with all companies, including Kinetix with 3D Studio MAX I believe. Its that way with Corel, anyway.

Basicly, you cant make money off of what you do with Academic, but the features are the same as the Retail package. Just a different license that doesnt allow commerical use.

Hope that clears it up.

-Dan Smith
dans@3dgamedev.com
D. Smith
quote: Original post by Dan Smith

Academic versions of any Microsoft Products (including but not limited to: Visual C++, Visual Basic, Windows NT Server, Visual Studio, MSDN) do not allow you to sell what you make with them. They are for academical use only, for learning on. If you plan on selling what you do, you must buy the retail version of the product.

I have recently purchased MS Visual Studio 6.0 Pro at an academic price and read through the licensing agreement. There is nothing anywhere that says you cannot sell what you make with it.

I have also recently purchased Borland C++ Builder 4.0 Pro at an academic price and, as with VStudio, there are no restrictions.

Are you sure you are thinking of the academic versions, and not the educational versions? I''m sure some academic versions of software do not allow selling of products created with them, but the above two that I mentioned do.

Josh
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement