Menu screen problems...

Started by
3 comments, last by elasticMan 24 years, 6 months ago
I want to be able to have a smaller window which opens when my game is launched which contains all the menu items such as START, LOAD etc, instead of going straight into full screen mode. However, I''m having a tough time getting it right. Anyone had experience of this or know where I can find code examples. Thanks
Advertisement
Are we talking Windows GUI? Well, since I use VB I get around that problem really easy =) but if you use C++ you should prolly use MFC. Am I right, C++ people?

Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
You can use MFC or since it''s just one window, code it yourself. I dislike tying MFC into games if I can avoid it. Or if you really want a hack, use VB to create the window, save the info the user enters in the game''s registry section then have the VB app call your game.

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This is what I describe as a "launcher" utility. It allows you to create new game, load saved game, configure options, etc.. and is what is actually launched when you fire up your game. I have implemented this as a dialog contained in a seperate exe.

You can get as fancy as you want, drawing a textured background and maybe some custom drawn buttons, etc..

Once the selection is made, launch your game exe and then shutdown the dialog....also, just before you exit your game, fire up the dialog exe.

or, include such a dialog in your game...and just make it the first thing the user sees when they fire up the game...whatever makes you happy.

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
Well, what I''m doing to get around the problem is drawing directly to the window screen with directX to make my opening window. Unfortunately, for placing it you have to get the screen width, divide by two and subtract 1/2 the width of the window you created, just to get the left side of where you''re placing. Lot of work, but it works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement