Advertisement

can i progam using a laptop?

Started by February 15, 2000 09:30 PM
17 comments, last by yeah 24 years, 6 months ago
You''ll have to go with whatever graphics card comes with your system (since you can''t replace most hardware in laptops). I personally can''t stand working on a laptop (too uncumfortable), but one suggestion: buy the one with the most comfortable keyboard and the largest screen. Another thing to note about laptops: if you want to play the latest and greatest 3D games dont even bother going with a laptop. There too slow, and the video technology isn''t near what it is on desktop systems. Otherwise, though, they are nifty little devices.

--TheGoop
maybe i''ll just get a desktop,i''m on a webtv right now,and i hate it!
yeah
Advertisement
oh dear gawd, webtv?

from my experience, right now the best 3d card that you can get on a laptop is ATI rage 3d 8meg
none of them are really that great, but that''s the best i''ve seen.
course as stated above you can only get it from manufacturers that offer it and i''d recommend Dell. the are very highly rated laptops. not to say there are some damn nice other ones though.
-werdup-
I have a laptop which I use to program while Im at work (I work at a video rental shop, so I get plenty of time), then when I come home I xfer all my project files to my desktop (which is a little bit better) and continue working on the desktop, but you could say my main development computer is my laptop.

later!

VisualLR
Actually, you can buy a typewriter to type your code on paper while you are on vacation and then scan and OCR it at home. It''s way cheeper then buying desktop for "serious" job at home and a laptop to work on vacation.

Uh, and how do you program using webtv? Do you?

No offence, I''m just in a good mood.
You don''t need to replace any hardware for a laptop. You can find many 3D graphics cards that plug into your PC card slot. Also, I''ve found that the screen size isn''t as important as the type of screen. You''ll want active matrix. If you get passive, or dual scan, your mouse will dissapear and you won''t be able to see any animations (very well).

My laptop has a nice active matrix screen and a trackball mouse. I program on it all the time. Also, make sure it has a full size keyboard, or close to it.

Many laptops have a special slot in the back that you can plug into a docking station that you can hook a monitor, normal keyboard, and mouse into. Some of the larger ones even have expansion slots. (The one my laptop works with is like that. It also has a diskdrive in it. But I don''t have the dock yet.)

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
Advertisement
i program at school..webtv can''t do anything thats fun
yeah
Sure u can use laptop to do your programming works. But for graphics programming, especially DirectX, may have little problem. (graphics card in laptop are sometimes quite funny, especially for the old ones )
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
Both S3 and ATi is making 3D cards for laptops, think they are called Savage Mobile and Rage Mobile or something, can''t really remember. And they are not anymore limited to 8Mb, there are 16Mb versions now!!! Can''t say which companies that puts S3''s or ATi''s chip in their laptops yet, but you might find some links from their websites...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement