Advertisement

Mounting In Linux

Started by February 19, 2002 10:01 PM
37 comments, last by Vegadam 22 years, 7 months ago
Leave off the "-t iso9660" part maybe? Normally it can autodetect the format of the device you''re trying to mount (more info about partition types in the last AP''s post). BTW: /etc/fstab is a file, not a directory. But you do need to be root to edit it (like I said last time). To become root type "su" and then your password. This only makes that single terminal root, not everything though.

This is quite odd. Are you sure that /dev/hdc is actually your cdrom? While most examples on the net will use /dev/hdc to refer to the CD, it''s not always the case (if you have multiple HD etc). Is your cdrom IDE? SCSI?

Have you tried to use the symlink rather than the block device (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom rather than mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom)? Also, what is the cd you''re trying to mount? Did you burn it yourself? It could be damaged (if you can read it on windows it''s probably not) or you could have to close the track. Are you sure it is iso9660? If it uses the MS extensions, you''ll need support enabled in the kernel. Or is it a rewritable CD?

I know that''s a lot of possibilities, but I suspect one of the following:

1) /dev/hdc is not the cdrom block device (but AFAIK it would then be a HD and thus already mounted, unless of course it''s not mounted on bootup),
2) the CD is damaged,
3) it uses a non-iso9660 file system (Joliet) and you''ll have to compile support for it in the kernel

Anyway, I''d suggest to try "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" as root before trying any other option.

Don''t give up, Linux (and Unix in general) can be quite frustrating at time, but it''s very rewarding.
Advertisement
Ok, I left it off, and this is what it said to me:
[root@localhost /]# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
/dev/hdc: Input/output error
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Ok and this is what happend when I tried the other thing:
[root@localhost /]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist
[root@localhost /]# mount /dev/cdrom/ /mnt/cdrom
mount: special device /dev/cdrom/ does not exist
[root@localhost /]#

Ok, here we go, The CD is not Damaged, and as for your other question, im not sure. But this is what the ISO is in fstab (By the way how do I edit fstab in the terminal I know I have to be in root)
iso8859-1

Edited by - vegadam on February 22, 2002 5:59:17 PM
Try
mount -a  
(i.e. mount all) then go see in /etc/mtab (list of mounted fs with the options) if the cdrom is mounted.

Yes, to edit /etc/fstab (and most other system files) you need to be su'ed as root.

note: it would be /dev/cdrom not /dev/cdrom/

Edited by - Fruny on February 22, 2002 6:07:19 PM
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
[root@localhost home]# mount -a
[root@localhost home]# mount -a
[root@localhost home]# mount -a /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist

And I know I have to be in root to edit, but how do I edit, what is the command I should type?

This is what it says now.

Edited by - vegadam on February 22, 2002 6:17:05 PM
To view the contents of a file, use cat

To edit, you have the choice of vi, emacs, nano ...

vi: survival kit
- to go into insertion (edit) mode, type ''i'' in command mode.
- to go back to command mode hit the escape key.
- to insert a new line type ''o''
- to delete a line type ''dd''.
- to quit type ''q''+RETURN
- to save type ''w''+RETURN
- (save+quit = ''wq''+RETURN)
- (force quit = ''q!''+RETURN)

emacs: survival kit
- edit ... ''normally''
- save CTRL-X CTRL-S
- quit CTRL-X CTRL-Q

nano: survival kit :
- the commands are written at the bottom of the screen
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
Ok, something Odd just happend. I thouhgt I would just try a new CD so, I put one of my DVDs in, then I pressed the CDROM button on my desktop and it opend. SO I thought it just might be my one CD, so I put another one of my cds in, and it gave me thie error
[root@localhost /]# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
??What does that mean?

Ok, I think it just wont let me read Audio CDS because I put Quake III in, and it opend up the folder. But here is the wierd thing, with Quake III. When I press the button on setup.exe Nothing happens, anyone know the answer to this, or my previous question?

write:
less /etc/fstab

to quit it press q.
Now if it has a line like
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
you may have an automounter so you only need to browse to mnt/cdrom and the cd will be mounted. Now about setup.exe, it is a windows program so it won''t run on linux, BTW is the cd that doesn''t workk a direct cd open disc?
humanity will always be slaved by its ignorance
Ok, I dont know if thats what it is, the CD that wouldnt work is a Disturbed CD (The Band) For some reason it will not play any audio CD, does anyone know why? And this is what is in my FSTAB
/dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/etc/fstab lines 1-9/9 (END)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement