Advertisement

I wanna use MOD in my game!

Started by February 13, 2000 10:14 PM
7 comments, last by SikCiv 24 years, 7 months ago
I know it comes up every few days, but I cant seem to find a good cheap easy-to-use MOD library compatible with DirectSound! (preferrably not DirectShow!) Can anyone help me?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

I think FMOD supports MOD files. It''s at www.fmod.org.
Advertisement
i dont think DirectShow works with MODs directly anyhow.
Carl "trixter"[email=carl@trixoft.com]carl@trixoft.com[/email]http://www.trixoft.com
Hehe, it would be pretty funny if FMOD didn''t support mods.

Why does it have to be DSound compatable?

Rock
...Because my game is already running DSound for normal sounds.
FMOD runs MP3, IT, XM, MOD, and some other formats! COOL!

And yes, FMOD runs under DSound but it doesnt use the DSound mixer as the FMOD mixer is faster!

But the price is beyond what most of us can afford!
$995(USD) for one product release only, or $2800 onsite for an unlimited license! DOH.

Therefore im looking for a cheaper alternative. )-;-(

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

A cheaper alternative would be to learn the MOD format and implement it yourself. The various MOD formats seem to be very similar so it doesn''t seem like it''d be too much trouble to go from MOD, IT, to S3M, etc. Why not try to find the sourcecode from an open-source player or something?
Advertisement
HHAHAHAHahAHAa you ever try doing that??! Use MIDAS audio library, don''t waste a significant potion of your life trying to figure out how to code mods.
There are some other good ones. I don''t know if they''re DSound compatable, in the sense that I''m not sure they give you access to the DSound objects they use. But realistically, you should be playing sounds through the MOD API, because most of their mixers are faster than the DSound mixer anyways.

SEAL is my choice. I believe its only $60 for a shareware license (full commericial is much more). I don''t think Midas is as feature rich, and I don''t believe they have any shareware middleground. Its either free or like $2000. FMOD is expensive too, and only Win compatable. And GAudio is a new one I haven''t really looked into, but also plays mp3''s I believe. Then there are cheaper/cruder ones like MikMod and Varmant. I didn''t like those.

Rock
There''s a something called ModPlug SDK that supports almost every MOD-Format. I think you can get it at www.modplug.com

Ciao

_Melo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement