🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What went wrong with Everquest as Software?

Started by
2 comments, last by quentinj 24 years, 4 months ago
Greetings all, (I''m new here, please flame gently...) I am no longer recomending EQ to friends. The early phase is always the best - when you don''t really know much about the world (1st char in any game is the most fun, barring stuffups). But being a SW engineer and a net-head and a RPer and a late night coffee-fueled thinker I eventually couldn''t help from looking behind the scenes a bit (it started with figuring out suitable quests and it ended with patches and re-patches and disconnects and nerfs and mis-information perhaps even to the point of dis-information, and, and, and.... The high-level design or structure of the Everquest SW is poor. Rush to market is blamed, but the design just doesn''t show the cohesion of a creative masterpiece of a small team of SW wizards who kept a consistent world-model or goal in mind as they built their baby. The major factor was to get to market first with right keywords in their product (M, M, O, and RPG all in one!). Perhaps Microsoft disinformation about AC release fooled them (why release months before MS - a month before (even a month after) would have been good enough (particular if EQ had been several man-years more mature =tested (i.e. test to written spec by 3rd party)= quality), it may have lost them little real market share The real creative minds behind EQ have probably long since moved on from EQ (designers don''t dirty their hands with coding, or uggh, testing and maintenance, or (barf) customer support - these are 2nd string people running EQ). (Oh dear, what if it was actually 2nd rate designers who got 3rd rate coders to build it, and test their own work?) The best people are working in secret (probably EQ2 or STarWars) and I think this secrecy has greatly contributed to the division at various levels - the power hierarchy in Verant is expressed in layered access to the secret(s) at the core - a more clear case of information being power is rarely seen. However , the low-rung (EQ1) people are not really close to the core and tend to emphasize what they know over us plebs as a mark of rank to compensate for being low rung on the inside. The more that Abashi knows (or rather pretends to know) that the players don’t know, the more secrecy power he has. He may not be really in the loop at the core - but by golly! he says he knows more than we do and plans to keep it that way! My personal last straw with Abashi was when he described the Qeynos teleporting MOB bug at one time as "cannot be fixed" – Hmph! I bet the SW engineers would NOT say it like that, but either: 1. We haven''t found the bug - if MisManagement comits our man hours we will look, meanwhile its back to important stuff like reverb in caves that they want. 2. We have identified the bug, if MisManagement comits our man hours we will fix it, but back to crucial expansion pack they ordered. It is actually a puzzle how EQ could have gone so bad - here is my take.... EQ was a reasonable idea, put together in a hurry by a varying mix of people with the major goal: 1.Get a game to market soonest with M, M, O, & RPG (2.Hidden Goal: Build the real killer EQx from what we learned and earned from EQ1) I think Brad tragically underestimated what level of internal consistency (a fundamental issue to a SW guy surely?) a RPG world required, or perhaps how much work it would take or both - perhaps Brad''s idea of RPG came from Heretic which was sometimes called "Doom with RPG" when it was really Doom with FANTASY - many people tragically confuse the two (perhaps Verant’s idea of RPG came from Magic card game? not D&D? I hear reading is dropping right off in the US - maybe they hadn''t even read LOTR?) Verant also tragically misread or confused the markets - the RPG consumer is very different to the shoot-em-up customer, an RPer if treated right with a really good game has a very high budget (I''ve spent many hundreds on hardware improvements lately to maximise EQ enjoyment and performance) - the mature professional audience of RPers has a very high standard, but if the game was really the best of D&D and EQ and AC and SB & NWN then we would be happy to pay HUNDREDS of dollars for the killer SW with professional support - my PC costs $2000, SW at $50US is peanut money to adult working dedicated RPers Perhaps they did not confuse the markets, merely target for both, to maximise the profit. But Verant could probably have 60 servers nicely full right now, why did they destroy customer satisfaction by failing to add more. If EQ worked right, players would RP to take it easy to enjoy the world for longer. But now surely the credibility loss for Brad and Verant will not be erased by any game they are capable of producing next (maybe Brad did have great design vision which was spoiled by MisManagement and contract coding - I don''t really know for sure - Brad could have built something like Linus or Woz or Ritchie did - instead he''s just another Bill wanna-be). Anyway - I think there is a whole layer of secrets which underpins Verant’s company structure and has tragically left its relationship with its customers about as polite and trusting as between Sinn Fein and the Windsors. A Star Wars setting holds little interest for me (what is Star Wars but a cowboys and indians movie in the future) - what does the Star Wars universe have to show: Pirates, Vigilantes, Corruption, Imperialism, Hierarchy, Classism, Slavery? Vader, blackest of villians, who comitted the most vast of cold-blooded murder (billions - orders of magnitude greater than Stalin or Hitler) is revealed as just a misunderstood boy - a victim!? And if Verant et al are involved: double no thanks. A world which is just made up there and then has little interest for me either - can''t imagine much value in AC. My suggestion for SciFi future MMORPG world: Frank Herbert "Dune" - now there is a future world which is bizarre enough to be ''realistic'' - long-term (k-years!) power groups conspire to use technology, biology, drugs, mindtraining, secretlanguages, battle, medicine, religion, sex... to the extreme of extremes (as people do) to get an advantage - a ready set made of classes, races, skills, worlds, themes - I really hope this is the newest game to be suddenly revealed next week (sigh...). Space is big..really big - no SciFi has really captured that size - for a realistic (i.e. long-range = long-term) space battle try Larry Niven Pak Protector - one man/ship vs 1 pak/ship - first contact is YEARS out (telltale emmission bands in the stars spectrum shows exhaust cloud of certain type of ship coming straight at him for at least some decades (ohoh...an alien foe who can drive a personal spaceship (=no-stasis=awake!) for decades...extra care then...he manoeuvres around Mars for a better look (takes 2 years)). The best story of a realistic big-scale (in parsecs, not numbers) battle I have read. Remember the Golden rule of Traveller - NO instantaneous messaging or transporting EVER! Hyperdrive is fast, but not a teleport (a SciFi game with instant messaging anywhere violates causality - I don''t think it could work right) A space game has to be big and empty. I nearly barfed when Striker flew the Enterprise (300+metres!) with a joystick (400 year old tech) like a crop-duster. Star Wars and even Star Trek barely rate as SciFi in my book - their future is just like the present only more so. Anyway, look forward to next killer MMORPG (SB is still front runner isn’t it?) Role On, Quentin David Jones
Advertisement
i don''t think we''re a suitable audience for your rant. who''s Abashi, whats a MOB bug, and so on? i speak for myself when i say that i dont have enough time anymore to get INVOLVED in a game these days (though i do play some that don''t require 3d accel, EQ is not in this group).

i was going to give EverQuest a try... now im not so sure

interesting read nonetheless though.
Havn't you already posted a message about the design of Everquest. Just get over it and buy Ultima Online if you don't like it. And most of us here are software engineers in our own right. And we are NET-heads and RPG people.

Sorry if I flamed you.

-David

PS. Yes I have to agree it was an interesting read. But these type of posts usually get more attention when they are posted in actual gamers forums like www.playnow.com.au

Edited by - bully on 2/14/00 4:33:17 AM
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
Quentinj,

I''d have to agree with Foofightr on this one. This one really belongs on the EQ Message Boards. However, coming from EQ as well I have to speak up a bit on this one. Last thing I want to do is turn this into a debate, especially not here at GameDev but I just have to make a few points.

First when you say EverQuest was rushed to market I have to laugh. The game was in development for three, close to four years. This is not counting design and all of the other aspects that needed completion before software development began. Yes, I''m sure the game would have benifited if it had stayed in beta at least a little longer but you have to remember something. Sony is a huge coorperate company. You need to give Verant some credit. With all of that pressure to ship that they must of had they managed to hold a consistent vision and create one of the most ambitious piece of software to date. Frankly, I''m not so sure the average development house could have pulled it off as well givin the scale of such a project. There are now 20 or so servers up, maybe more, I stopped counting. If you''ve noticed, they have been forced to set up new servers every month or so to accomidate the growing player base since launch and there is no sign of slowing down yet. Sure, EQ is not for everyone but they have sure done an amazing job appealing to a myriad of different types of gamers. Anyway, the numbers speak for themselves.

No game will ever be perfect, especially not a persistent world like EverQuest as you cannot please everyone. I don''t think you realize the pressure and responsibility that Verant must deal with. When they tweak the game by the smallest margin, or change one little aspect of design or introduce something new into the game they have to think of the *majority*. Again, if you look at the player base thus far I think its clear to see they have accomplished just that, so far. Don''t get me wrong, I have my gripes about some aspects as well but I have my eye on the big picture and I''d rather enjoy it for the outstanding accomplishment it is rather then focus on its few faults.

Lastly, for people who actually do like this genre of games, EQ is simply the best there is right now, so why rant? Something better will come along, as always, but for right now why take it for granted. In the meantime if you really care about the game, get in there and send in those /feedbacks and what not. The majority has spoken many times and Verant has done a great job in meeting the challenge.

Anyway, I could go on and on but I''ll restrain myself and leave it at that.

Enjoy the game!

~Vlarr
Vlarr@hotmail.com
ICQ # 50607306
~Vlarr

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement