🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How can I make a map editor?

Started by
1 comment, last by Gabriel 24 years, 4 months ago
How can I make a map editor that I can use to create maps for my game? I would like to make it for use with DX, but in MFC. any help would be appreciated
Advertisement
Do you have a game engine? If you do, then you should already know what parameters your program requires to function - whether it be the coordinates of objects in your game world, how textures are displayed for specific objects, starting values for health, inventory or whatever else is in the level.

If you don''t have an engine, you are going to need one. I don''t think there is any point building a map editor without knowing there is a program out there which can interpret the levels you make with it.

If you are just starting out it (and that is just my assumption, apologies if I am wrong), it might be best to get your hands on a level-editor for an existing game in the genre you are interested. That way you can learn what parameters are used in the composition in a level and you will find it easier to decide what to include when you build your own engine.

Paulcoz.
Check out Mappy somewhere on this board. It comes with a demo, a map editor and complete source to both.

Edited by - Gromit on 2/15/00 2:14:06 AM
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement