Advertisement

Help with GUIDs!

Started by February 11, 2000 08:53 AM
-1 comments, last by RPGElite 24 years, 7 months ago
I posted this in the DirectX forum, but I''ll put it here too in case anybody here has any ideas (and also because I never seem to get any replies to any of my posts in the DX Forum) I''ve been trying for the last 2 days to get Multi-Monitor Debugging set up. I think I am very close. According to the SDK documentation, I should run VC++ on my primary monitor, and my DX app on the secondary monitor (it''s full-screen). Of course, DX always wants to start up on the primary monitor when I send NULL asthe first argument to DirectDrawCreate(). So, I want to send it the GUID of my secondary monitor''s video card. Well...I don''t know how to enumerate devices, and the SDK Documentation was of only minimal help. I know that the GUID of my secondary video card (Matrox Millennium) is: D7B71ECB-4661-11CF-9B7303DFAEC2CD35 I am trying to get it running full-screen at 640x480x256. People have given me tips on where to start looking and things like that, but if anybody could just give me enough code to get DX initialized on my secondary monitor, I would be forever greatful. I figure I need to do one of the following 1) Learn how to enumerate the devices, and enumerate my way to my secondary card. 2) Somehow get that GUID I mentioned above as the first parameter to DirectDrawCreate() 3) Just forget this whole thing and run the app. on the main monitor - does anybody know why MS says to do it the other way around? And, while I''m at it, I''ll put this in my post too - the app. I am working on now, just to get this stupid secondary monitor crap out of the way, is a simple random pixel plotter. After I get it working, I will be using DirectInput. Does anybody know how DirectInput deals with MultiMon stuff? I mean, if I take control of the keyboard and/or mouse, will I no longer be able to use F10/F11/etc. to single-step in the debugger, or is there some way I can bubble these keypressed back up to the debugger? And will I be able to move my mouse out of the DX app. over to VC++ so I can click on things like breakpoints, watches, etc...? If I click on something in VC++ will DInput register a click? So many questions...so few answers. It seems that Multi-Monitor Debugging was very poorly thought out from the beginning, does anybody else agree? It''s so hard to get working, and I don''t know if it''s worth the effort. I hope so...I paid a pretty penny for this second monitor and vid card. Thanks in advance for any help. gameguru4@yahoo.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement