🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Great games and Game Ideas

Started by
5 comments, last by DarkMage139 24 years, 4 months ago
Have you noticed how many people are mentioning their favorite games on these message boards? I thought I''d add my 2 cents. What do you think are some great games? What game ideas and concepts do you think would be really great games. Personally, I like RPGs and First Person Shooters over other games, though I think that so many people are trying to make FPSs that a lot of them have low quality. Some RPGs are really cool (like FF7), but some are too linear (Grim Fandango). And others place technology over gameplay. Still there are few good ones who do gameplay over technology (EXILE series at "www.spidweb.com"). But keep in mind that usually great game ideas are developed after weeks of the subconsious constantly mulling over an idea (I don''t think that Quake II or Thief was designed in two days). - DarkMage139
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
I had this cool Idea when sitting in front of the TV about a month ago:

I don''t know if you''ve seen the Guiness advert with the snails racing each other, but it would make an absolutely wicked racing game, where you''re snails pull power-slides and jumps etc.

It would have to have some pretty wicked graphics to work, but it would be sooooo cool if someone developed it.

George.
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Make it. I will buy it

Pong is a great video game.
Well Kurt here loves FF3 for the SNES. Greatest game ever in his opinion. He also adores Wild Arms for the PSX. Pong is cool too

Peace Love Empathy
Kurt
E-Mail-ttlnirvana@aol.com
IRC-y2Kurt
AIM-MadeTheBedIDieIn

*Another day in a boring town with the same old crowd*
Peace Love EmpathyKurtE-Mail-CipherSinger@hotmail.comIRC-y2KurtAIM-CipherSinger*Another day in a boring town with the same old crowd*
When I saw picture of FF8, and it was like somekind of platform stage (probaply), I got crazy idea !!!

Or maybe actually two, but let me explain

First of all, I would like to create old cool game, GUARDIAN HEROES (Sega Saturn, 1995) again ! That was THE game
Idea was simple: player chooses character, and game starts from bar (ok, background: style is Golden Axe / Double Dragon, Anime graphics, crossgenre of Beatem''up and platformer). This game had COOL feature, so that when you finish the level, plot caused player to choose destination and goals for the next level ("Darn, castle is under attack, but we should goto save find Cursed Sword anyway, what are we going to do ?"), little like in old car game "Outrun".
Game had 3 different fighting stages, so unlikely like in Double Dragon, player cannot walk up and down, but he can jump up and down (in stages, not in air). Game also included console RPG elements, so that killing enemies caused player to get experience, new moves and so on... And heck ! THAT WAS FUN WITH 2 - 4 PLAYERS !!! Cool explosion effects and everything

Another idea is more original. I would like to create RPG Platform game, where player has samekind of features as in Guardian Heroes, but game wouldn''t be so linear. Basically, this game would be more like Wonderboy series on Sega Mastersystem, but with way better "style" (not for the kids only, wonderboys were "HapPY hAppY"), and with non-linear plot.

Hmm... Kind of like Another World, but with less action (or atleast not that darn hard like Another World)

Yap, thats what I just came up this time

Some of the greatest games to me were old console and commadore/amiga games. The deisgners of these games weren''t caught up in a whirlwind of technolodgy and competing hardware. The systems for which they designed games were steady standards for a long time, with no need to upgrade your comp or console just to play the game. This also let deisgners concentrate more on playability than compatability. So I think looking back to these games can give you some great ideas for new ones.
Examples:
ELITE, first 3D game i ever played and it was completely wire frame. Still I have yet to see a 3D game rival it in its sense of adventure. (Maybe homeworld)

TMNT 1 for nes, excellent game.

Theme park, okay, this one is for the PC. But i didn''t have to buy a new 3D card just to play it.

Lords of the Rising Sun, i guess you could call it the first RTS i ever played. But the angle that they took, feudal japan, I have yet to see pop up anywhere else.

FF1 for nes, ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement