🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Monkey Island anyone?

Started by
11 comments, last by Staffan 24 years, 4 months ago
The monkey island 1,2 and 3 is great!
All of them!

James Bond
James Bond
Advertisement
Keep in mind, the engine is not what made Monkey Island(and I mean Monkey Island I only, I didn''t like II/III much) great...

The story is what made that game great. Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle were two of the funniest games I''ve ever seen.

-Alamar
Didn''t like II? Anyway...

While story is the most important element, I must say that I prefer struggling with good (or bad) interfaces that allow me to feel like I can do more in a game (AGI/early SCI, SCUMM, etc) than with interfaces that allow you to just be able to associate sometimes random-seeming objects together in whatever way, and then `using'' the objects and the character knows what to do. I remember playing Sierra''s Quest of the Longbow and accidentally clicking on a chalice instead of a scroll...and it ruined the puzzle for me.

With games nowadays, it seems that you don''t have to know how to do the solution for a puzzle...just what objects to use. I can tell if I need to do something else elsewhere by cycling through my inventory and trying everything and seeing if nothing works.

I know it''s like that to a similar degree in old-school adventure games too, but you have to make the game playable...I just think the older games struck the better balance.

There are some WEIRD puzzles in Grim Fandango...

-----------------------------------------
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
----------------------------------------Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement