🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What kind of computers do you all got?

Started by
55 comments, last by SigwarthSoft 24 years, 4 months ago
i was gonna say don''t laugh too hard, i''m getting a new computer when i get my next paycheck.. but CmndrM''s got me beat.. P166.. can you even play Wolfenstein on that?

P233, 32 Megs Ram, 4 Gig hard drive (constantly running out of space), sadly no zip drive, Robotics x2 56k modem, 14'' Monitor, no 3D card (it''s a Packard Bell PoS, and apparently their philosophy is to sell more computers by making them damn near impossible to upgrade. they put everything on the mother board.. i''m almost surprised they didn''t put the modem on there too)
i know it''s sad.. but a couple more weeks and i''ll have a sweet machine..
Advertisement
Yep...my old machine was a Packard Bell, too and as fast as a 486-66...onboard sound card, on monitor speakers).
''Twas my first and I thought this was a nice bundle.
I bought 16 MB RAM for it once...plus the 8 MB already in there that made 16 - nice mathematics huh ?

I am wiser now, let me tell you. I screwed this computer together entirely by myself. Seems to work fine up to date (though Win95 didn''t like my V3 on the AGP Port - [too bad] - so I junked it (NO, not the V3 - W95, that little SOAB)...

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
Well, something like...

PII 450 (Want more thought!)
128MB RAM (Satisfied)
13.7 GB (Starting to fill up!)
3D Blaster GeForce 256 Annihilator PRO (Aaaaahhh!!!)
Sound Blaster Live Player 1024 (Does make sound!)
Zip250/DVD(10x)/FDD

And the nicest thing of all, my NEC Multisync LCD 1525V,
nice!! Well, could be a little bigger, but who am I to complain?? Satisfied? YES! More CPU power would be appriciated though...
The only thing worse than trying to upgrade a Packard Bell is thrying to reinstall Windows on one.
. I recently did this for a classmate, and it was a major pain in the neck [and back.] There were almost no drivers for anything in the system. It barely had a CD-ROM drive which was just enough to get the video running. The modem was a card, but was one of those cruddy sound+modem jobs [even if it was made by Ensoniq.] Stupid thing is I got the sound working with generic Sound Blaster drivers, but the modem was a no-go. Windows couldn''t even find it.
. From now on I''m calling them Peanut Butters. They just aren''t nearly as good without jelly [or Fluff(tm)] and some things are allergic to the ingrediants.

---Sonic Silicon

P.S. I got Wolfenstein 3D working on my 386/33, albeit in a quarter-size window. Still can''t get WolfGL to work, though.
What my system was 2 months ago...

Dell XPS400 system
PII 400
64mb PC-100 SDRAM
ATI Rage pro AGP 8mb video card
12mb Creative Labs Voodoo2 card
8gig HD
40x CD-ROM

What it got upgraded to a few weeks ago...
Tyan Trinity 400 motherboard
Intel P3 550e fc-pga cpu overclocked to 733mhz (using 133mhz fsb instead of the spec 100mhz fsb for the 500e and 550e cpus)
128mb PC-133 SDRAM
20gig HD (with old 8gig as second drive)
Everything else has been left the same for now. Will be getting a new 3d card later this summer after all the nextgen cards are out. That voodoo2 card still runs everything I play just fine (which is basically just Q3 and UT as far as heavy 3D games go.)

This is by far the most cost effective configuration you can get right now. Both the 500e and 550e cpus overclock VERY easily (They''re made to essentially the same specs as the P3 733, using the same .18 micron copper trace fabs) You''ll need to get an adapter to fit them into slot1 motherboards. Right now you can get the 550e over the web for about $270. With the right motherboard you can get it up to 733mhz very easily (There''s no guarantee, but the likelihood of successfully overclocking with these two chips is very high, higher then any other cpu that''s ever been sold) The Tyan is a good option as it provides socket7 and slot1 connectors (but you''ll have to use slot1 via an adapter to be able to overclock. Hopefully they''ll eventually come out with a bios upgrade that takes care of this limitation) Other potentially good combinations are the Abit VA6 and AOpen AX63 Pro, both requiring a slot1 adapter. Definitely get PC-133 memory too, as you''re overclocking by increasing the frontside bus speed (which is the clock speed the motherboard itself runs at) and you don''t want stability problems resulting from clocking PC-100 memory to 133Mhz. These fc-pga cpus are the best deal out there right now. Get 733mhz performance at 1/3rd the cost (or 550mhz performance at a good price if ya don''t like overclocking, or happen to be unlucky enough to get one of the rare cpus that don''t overclock well)

And this system is definitely NOT an indication of my penis size. That''s what my ''98 ZX-9R is for. You think computers are fast...
I don''t know if this has already been suggested (I havent read all the posts) but could the results of this post be published somewhere? It would interesting....

- Daniel
http://sw.mtx.net/daniel/
- DanielMy homepage
hmmm, ok
1 Athlon 650
256 MB Ram
Createive Labs Annihilator Pro
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live
only a 13GB hard drive though
Zip Drive of course
Upgrading from 48 to 72 speed cd rom soon

2 Pentium II 400
224 MB ram each
one creative lab annihilator pro and one ati rage fury
each has a creative labs sound blaster live
13GB hard drives for both
Zip drives of course

2 AMD K6-2 450
128 MB ram each
one ati rage fury and one diamond pnoenix if i remember correctly
one 8GB and one 17GB hard drive
2 of those crappy 120 drives

finally 2 laptops one compaq pentium ii 266
64MB ram 4GB hard drive go active matrix

fujitsu pii 233
64MB ram and 4GB hard drive
high performance cheap display

i mainly program on the powerful athlon i have, the others are for art and testing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement