🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where can i download the linux source code?

Started by
10 comments, last by SigwarthSoft 24 years, 4 months ago
I hope it''s full and the c or c++ or vc++. somebody? I looked on www.linux.com and org but i couldn''t find it. Can you give me the exact url? plz SigwarthSoft sigwarthsoft@hotmail.com icq#: 62538030 Maastricht, Netherlands Stefan Sigwarth
Advertisement
You want the kernel or a whole distribution or what? Perhaps you could go to ftp.us.kernel.org
There in the pub/linux directoy you''ll find some stuff...also it helps(helps me at least) to look at www.linux.org to find some howto''s on, well...HOW TO do stuff. I''m not huge into linux so that''s about all I can tell you. I hope you find what you need.

While I''m here blabbing about linux, can anyone tell me why I can''t get my scsi adapter/disks recognized? I recompiled the newest kernel to support scsi, but I don''t know if I need to alter a config file of some sort or what
Part of the reason I don''t use linux so much is that it won''t see all my hardware, so how am I gonna ween myself off windows when I need it to use all my goodies?

When life hands you lemons, throw them at God's head.
The kernel source is in C. Currently I believe the compiler of choice is gcc 2.7 to compile linux kernels. Latest kernel version is 2.3.40. It''s availabe at ftp.kernel.org.

As for the SCSI, did you include the config option for your specific card?
Here''s what I did basically:

I used ''make menuconfig''.

In the scsi section, under low level driver stuff, I chose the aic7xxx or whatever it''s called because it said any adaptec 293x should choose that (I have a 2930-U2).

I elected to have it put in the kernel (''*'', not ''M'' right?).

The kernel compiled and everything and I did ''make modules'' and stuff like some FAQ I found told me to.

I can mount my IDE disks fine.
When I still try to mount I get
"unrecognize block device (insmod ''driver''?)".

So what is next?
Any input is appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance!

SiCrane...I just noticed you have an AOL account, perhaps if I see you online I can IM you and you could help me out eh?
Once again, thanks in advance for any help.

You only did "make modules"? You have to recompile the kernel image. For a proper kernel recompilation it''s something like (I might be missing a step):
make dep
make clean
make bzImage (or zImage if it''ll fit)
make modules
make modules_install
make bzlilo (if you use lilo, zlilo if you use zImage)
You want to make sure that once you''ve compiled the kernel that you''re replacing the old one. I think it''s ''make zlilo'', but you''ll have to check.
Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.
Yeah I did all that...like where I said
"''make modules'' and stuff like some FAQ I found told me to."...
that was the stuff I did (the ''make dep'', etc). I found some other thing that listed arguments I could pass to the kernel like:

aic7xxx=extended,no_reset

but I don''t know how to do it (what file to edit?).
I don''t even know if it matters.

Linux shminux, I guess I''m a retard.

I am not sure but I think your suppose to type
make linux and that starts up a whole s*&^ load of
other make files and asks u for various junk. I would read the kernel HOW TO document and then the SCSI how to.
those parameters that you where mentioning are probably entered when LILO: loads up and you would type somthing like
LILO:linux aic7xxx=extended,no_reset
The kernel HOW TO will explain this.
The kernel HOWTO is how I got where I am...I''ve read it. I''ve also discovered how to add those parameters in XWindows with the control panel(still doesn''t help though).
I added a SCSI adapter and then put those arguments in, but the disk administrator program wouldn''t mount or anything. I guess I''ll have to go out and buy the latest crappy distribution to solve my problems.
It pisses me off that it''s so damn hard to get a driver for linux, and I know it''s partially because I''m new to it and can''t figure it out...but stupid RedHat doesn''t look like it supports anything before version 6. They just list what doesn''t work with my version(real big help).
In theory I should be able to just get a new kernel and compile it and it should all work right? Am I way off? Do I need the latest ai7xxxx thing?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement