Advertisement

Running VC++ From the Command Line

Started by February 02, 2000 11:38 PM
3 comments, last by Qoy 24 years, 8 months ago
Whenever I try to run the vcvars32.bat file so that I can use the VC compiler from the command line, it says I''m out of environment space. Does this mean I have too many environment variables set? Because I don''t think I have many... Just the path, and all the standard stuff. Is there anything I can do to fix this? ------------------------------ Jonathan Little invader@hushmail.com http://www.crosswinds.net/~uselessknowledge
Right click on the batch file. Select "Properties". Click on the "Memory" tab. Then select a fairly large size for "Initial Environment". You could also do some stuff to your config.sys file, but I don''t remember how. Think it had to do something with loading the shell.
Advertisement
Enlarging the initial environment on the "vcvars32.bat" file doesn''t help, because those settings only apply when you double click on the batch file itself. And if you run the batch file from double click, then the batch file runs and then exits, popping the environment. What you need to do is increase the initial environment on the shell that you run the batch file in.

The other option is to just skip the batch file and copy and paste the commands from the batch into your command prompt. That seems to work for some reason.
Thanks! I reset the initial environment for the shell to 4096 k, and it works now.
I had a similar "problem". Whenever I ran any console applications from VC++ the line:

"Parameter value not in allowed range"
showed up everytime.

Locating the file _default.pif in C:/Windows/ and changing the "Initial Environment" setting to something in the valid range (it was 33109 and max is 32768) fixed it.

Anyway, does anyone know how this value gets out of range in the first place?

Borland developer support says "Opening the properties dialog for these files, and making a change to the "Initial Environment" setting (located on the Memory tab) seems to correct the problem.".

"Seems" feel a little vague there...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement