🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Your journey?

Started by
30 comments, last by JulieWilhelmine 12 months ago

@Alberth

Thank you for explaining that - I had no idea and was just a bit surprised by the tone. As I only found this place when I actively searched with the purpose of starting game development myself I hadn’t considered that anyone would end up here for any other reason ?But it’s interesting to hear that you came here long before you wanted to make a game for a more “behind the scenes” look, as I understood it. I’m still feeling a little scared of asking questions on here, but if I dared I’d ask what, if anything, has surprised you since you came here and started looking into the making of things (careful question mark here).

It sounds like a fun journey - must be nice to be able to contribute like that and help the vision come to life. Time consuming is something I see pop up a lot to describe the efforts for sure, depending on scope and size of the team I guess. It must be nice though, knowing that you can have the projects going and make progress when you feel like it and have the time ?

None

Advertisement

JulieWilhelmine said:
I hadn’t considered that anyone would end up here for any other reason ?

I am probably one of the very few that doesn't primarily aim for making a game here ?

For me it's the journey of discovery that counts. I can make things of course (after 40 years of programming, I should know how to do some of that, right?? ? ) but finishing something is not that important to me otherwise. I know I can finish it if I want to or need to (ie work), but it's just investing time into it to make it go forward. I don't care much for the actual topic of the program either. In the end, you're always explaining to a computer what you want it to do in terms of variables, values, statements, functions, and objects,

The most surprising things I found here is that people do write elaborate and careful answers if you ask a good question. You can find every level of expertise here, from professional game developers to hobbyists and beginners. Lots of discussions about performance, and last but not least, there no hidden secrets in the art of illusion ?

Of course I also learned of the existence of relevant notions in game development. I never realized there is “game design” before (the art of deciding what the user should be doing and how, while playing the game), but it makes sense of course. I learned about game engines and how they compare against regular programming in a common programming language. Probably I forgot to mention lots of topics here!

So… maybe I'll answer the questions, and maybe 'm not as jaded as the others:

• What made you decide to create your game? Did you start out with the idea of what you wanted to make, or knew you wanted to make something and then found out what it would be? (the 2nd one)
  • Did you start out alone? Joined or created a team? What's your take on working alone or with others? (joined a team, lead a team, then jump a decade. and started a company, I'd always recommend going the team route))
  • What is your best experience with game dev so far? And what is your worst?(hmm well, having our project win a editors choice award was the best, as for the worst? having a decade long friend and prospective biz partner stab you in the back)

If you want a play by play of my specific decade long journey, go to our website in my signature, and go to “History”

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

fleabay said:

I would suggest to ask real questions or give real advice and get off the BS questions that you asked in the OP. Most people have no patience for that and I'm in the minority to actually tell you.

I used to worry about my tone being too harsh on occasion. But given this flies, I think I won't worry about it anymore.

fleabay said:

I would suggest to ask real questions or give real advice and get off the BS questions that you asked in the OP. Most people have no patience for that and I'm in the minority to actually tell you.

I'm a newcomer to this forum too and I'm shocked that this is how you treat newcomers. I also see that a mod has agreed with you.

If you (both you personally and the community in general) is this hostile to newcomers then I don't want to be here anymore. Goodbye.

Developer of web games on https://tdgperson.itch.io/

TDGperson said:
I'm a newcomer to this forum too and I'm shocked that this is how you treat newcomers.

Many newcomers (mostly one and done posting for a school assignment or survey, spam etc) have their own agenda and come here for reasons other than to help or be helped. The OP follows that pattern.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Wow, I just took several minutes writing a well thought out polite explanation to my post and it got deleted.

I guess my time here is also coming to an end.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

TDGperson said:
I'm a newcomer to this forum too and I'm shocked that this is how you treat newcomers. I also see that a mod has agreed with you. If you (both you personally and the community in general) is this hostile to newcomers then I don't want to be here anymore. Goodbye.

Don't let the bitter jaded vets get to you.

I guarantee if you stay around, it will be worth it.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

@Alberth
It’s an interesting approach, the journey of discovery ?

I’m sure there are a lot of bright minds around here that are passionate about their topics of interest and share if they feel like it. I guess it remains to be seen, for my personal “quest” of finding community, motivation and inspiration, if there’s also some of that - in the form of which I can appreciate, and not just knowledge. That there is knowledge I have no doubt ?

Ah yes, there are more approaches and ways to contribute to the making of a game than I ever knew - there’s a need for so many different perspectives and skillsets, it’s really fascinating. Thank you for answering my questions, I really appreciate it!

@GeneralJist
I appreciate that! ? Thank you for answering the questions - I’ll check out your website for sure - I find so much inspiration by learning about other’s journeys

@TDGperson @GeneralJist
I’ll be the first one to admit that I’m not one of those who are particularly “thick-skinned” or come online with an expectation of people behaving in a way that would have people raise their eyebrows if the same was said out loud in a face to face setting - I’m genuinely surprised every time I’m met with unkindness in places where I’d assume one would be welcome. We’re all people behind these screens and I was really hoping this was a community that would be happy to have more people join their ranks.

My advice to those who feel like lashing out is to either try to uphold, or change, what’s written in the “Welcome to For Beginners! Please read this first” post, as the “Any questions from anyone who is just getting started in any aspect of game development are fair game” might get confusing for more people than me otherwise. I believe “being forgiving, nice and respect your fellow members” is mentioned as well ?

I’ve not given up this place yet though - and still appreciate any and all actual replies to my questions ?

None

JulieWilhelmine said:
I’ve not given up this place yet though

I think you deserve a better place.
Once upon a time, this was a peaceful and friendly place. People just helped each other learning how to make games. Moderation was never needed.
Sadly, not anymore. Idk why. But maybe this currently applies to the games industry as a whole, and what we see here is some reflection of that.

• What made you decide to create your game? Did you start out with the idea of what you wanted to make, or knew you wanted to make something and then found out what it would be?

When i saw Atari as a kid, i wanted to make my own games too. And after begging a long time, a home computer allowed me to do so.

• Did you start out alone? Joined or created a team? What's your take on working alone or with others?

Yes, alone. I was the only kid having figured out how to program. Shortly after, they tried to teach programming to every kid in any school, back then in the 80's. But it did not work.

• What is your best experience with game dev so far? And what is your worst?

I like the experience i have after figuring something out, making something work. You know, making games is difficult. If you want to make something like Doom, you hear about BSP trees, or perspective correct texture mapping, etc.
It was not easy to learn all this and doing it myself. But then, when i understood and could use it, i knew that's useful knowledge i can apply to all kinds of problems. It felt a bit less hard to make games with time, and i felt progress.
I did not stop at learning such existing methods. After some time i rather stopped making games (having released some mobile games), and shifted focus entirely on tech research. I looked for open problems and searched for solutions.
The goal was to enable new games from new technology. And i have succeeded on some things, but now i realize i'm probably already too old to make those new games.
So i'm currently completing my stuff, making it ready for production, and then i'll try to sell it to the industry.

In case i'll fail, i guess this will become the worst experience.

It will be worse then all the personal insults i've got here from some kind members, or being indirectly accused from socially incompetent mods about racism after making silly jokes about WW3 after China eventually bombing Taiwan. I do not really see what politics and economy have to do with races.
But well, that's another story. However, racism can actually end careers, because it's a really bad trait which i luckily do not have. So personally i'll better stay away from this website, after many years of contribution for free, while certain mod was away all the time.
I'm just here because some PM conversations still go on, but i already have given up this place. Too bad. It was a long time, and i like some people here.

Sorry about misusing your question to answer questions some other people should actually ask themselves.
But reading this thread, it becomes once more obvious i'm not alone, so i wanted to take the opportunity to say what i want to say (it's hard to do so where it belongs after being censored from a thread lock).
I'm aware that's not really motivating for you, on your beginning journey into games development. But i could not resist. Sorry.

Anyway, good luck and have fun with making games!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement