🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Play No Man’s Sky?

Started by
21 comments, last by dragonalumni 1 year, 8 months ago

Aressera said:
I have never actually seen any trailers

hmm… i guess then you are too innocent, because it was this single trailer which generated all the hype.
I can not remember the music which was in the game, but i was mega disappointed from it being different.
But maybe that's just me.

I'm (hobby) musician too, and if i have to list the games which inspired me the most, that's Zak McCracken and MDK. Interestingly both of them have outstanding title tracks. Not the kind of backgrounds music to get the proper mood and atmosphere, but a real, distinguishable theme, which is much harder to make. That's rare, and has huge value.
If i was the producer of NMS, i would have done everything to get the guy from the trailer on board for the actual game too.

Advertisement

Am I old, when I ask: what about the orchestral soundtracks in the old Sierra SCI games? That shit blew my mind, when my music teacher let me listen to his Roland MT-32. LOL the Energizer Bunny scene in Space Quest 3 sounded like a real drum, because it was awesome.

taby said:
there is no option to change it to metric (Celsius) as far as I know.

Pretty sure there is one (I think I use Celsius), seeing as the developers are from the UK. It's somewhere in the options, but maybe not on switch?

I will double-check it. Thanks for pointing that out.

taby said:
Am I old, when I ask: what about the orchestral soundtracks in the old Sierra SCI games?

I am sorry. But yes, you are old.

Hehehe. But maybe that's because i was still on Amiga in that time. When i came to PC, the multi media age had just started, with CD-Rom and crap. So no more midi.

You were lucky to have an Amiga. I remember the HAM graphics mode for photo-realistic graphics. I also played on an Amiga. The best game was Shadow of the Beast. My favourite PC game was Thexder – it used Moonlight Sonata as the music track for the title screen. I thought that this was kind of cool.

I was a C64 kid, and always wanted an Amiga, but didn't get one. Then when i was a teen, they became really cheap and i bought one. But did not really play much and no programming either. Playing guitar was cooler back then.
Then i saw a Doom clone. And when i got a job, i bought a PC. Video games became quite exciting again due the rise of 3D.

But currently i feel PC is no longer that great. When i saw Jensen recently, pulling out a 2000 Euro GPU bigger than my entire case and claiming that's the future, i really would quit gaming now. It's just the programming which keeps me on it.

I will not rest until i can beat Jensens gfx nonsense on an iGPU, and shitty AAA games with robotic ragdolls to finally get something new. >: ) Hope i'll life long enough…

Meanwhile there are still some great indie games occasionally. Prodeus really is good!

Here is the main screen of the game. They updated the software recently, which required a large download. They are working on it. ?

As someone who has spent probably half their life playing sandbox games, I gotta say I really hate NMS. I played it on launch and every couple of updates for quite a while. There is literally nothing that makes me every want to load the game again. Every time they updated the game they just dragged out the early bit and made it worse. Also it takes like 10 minutes to load.

Just my two cents.

Do we have suggestions for similar games, like, the ones that do not suck? ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement