🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What`s left

Started by
66 comments, last by Calin 1 year, 11 months ago

Back then you had to go into the subforums to find such content. You could easily avoid it.

Front page with all the latest treads on it seems to have caused a size down effect type of feeling, like the front page leaves you thinking that`s all there is to this site.

fleabay that looks like someone else`s profile picture, puzzling to see you using it.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

Calin said:
fleabay that looks like someone else`s profile picture, puzzling to see you using it.

Just the usual sabotage and trolling.

Imo, it's things like that which drag the forum down the most.

I have no problem with the front page or how automated ratings fail in cases, but i would consider to move the blog section to the bottom due to regular spam and mixed quality content.

@JoeJ I like Flat Eric as much as the last guy you ran off with your Good Intentions™.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

fleabay said:

@JoeJ I like Flat Eric as much as the last guy you ran off with your Good Intentions™.

Who did i ran off?
You mean @nikito , the guy you stole your avatar image from?

Well, check his profile page. His last conversation was argue with you.
That also also was the reason why he left, at least he said so in private.

I thought he was weak, back then.
But actually i start to think he was right. If the forum becomes constantly hostile for all personal reasons there is not much reason to stay.

JoeJ said:
That also also was the reason why he left, at least he said so in private.

You sure like telling things that were told to you in private. I thought you stopped doing that. And you know his last post and your reply to him was removed from the forum. Nice try though.

fleabay said:
I thought you stopped doing that.

I'm sure you didn't, so that a straight lie.

fleabay said:
And you know his last post and your reply to him was removed from the forum.

tbh, i can't remember deleted posts.
You surely know better and those memories define your perception til the current day. How poor.

fleabay said:
Nice try though.

I tried nothing. You did:

You stole the image form him, maybe with the intent to cause another derailing of serous discussion into total bullshit.
And you succeeded. Congrats.

I wonder you could not resist to do this, even by doing so, you just exposed yourself to be insane.
Congrats on that even more. Good to know.

If you have anything more to say, please do so in private.

fleabay said:
You sure like telling things that were told to you in private. I thought you stopped doing that.

JoeJ said:
I'm sure you didn't, so that a straight lie.

Seriously?

JoeJ said:
Yes, it was wrong to expose things said in private.

So

JoeJ said:
If you have anything more to say, please do so in private.

Yeah, no thanks.

Also, kind of a jerk move to make such a post and request that I make any replys to it in PM, instead of just PM'img me to start with. Not that I would reply. For the record, I will never correspond with you VIA PM again.

Nowadays i think, unity-type engines are not the cause, its more like the symptom.

People who were active here 10-20 years ago, already researched, learned, and implemented everything they needed, unless they want to switch to some newer api or technology they dont know, they dont have too much reason to be active on a forum.

Gathering information from the internet and online archives is now really simple, even beginners dont really have to use forums and chatrooms to discuss technical things.

But there are less forunate reasons as well. The tiktok generation lacks a lot of abilities due to the low quality of modern education. For example, even college students dont understand, what a file system is: https://www.pcgamer.com/students-dont-know-what-files-and-folders-are-professors-say/

Putting kids in front of smart televisions to sedate them with train videos (or even so called education materials) are not going to make them computer-pros or anything, it will just cause mental degradation, and distorted morals, distorted life-view, and the result is: not knowing what a file system is. In contrast, in the 90s you had to be scientifically prepared even to use a computer, because you had to do minimal maintenance on your computer even to be able to turn it on once or twice per week - for example, pushing back an ide cable to the hdd if it fell off, or figure out how to keep your dying floppy disks alive with the help of scandisk. This was true for the software side as well, which also gave enough competence to be a basis of programmers to grown. Nowadays this is different, a year ago i have seen a young guy who told me, that programming is merely international chitchat, and he is going to be the king of programming, because he can communicate in two languages.

Newcomers be like: int, float? arrays? char mylevel[64][64]?! fopen?!?!?! xcreatesimplewindow? glvertex3f?! malloc? Are you kiddin with me? Give me that magic wasd model viewer ,,game engine'', because i will not waste five days of my life to learn the basics! Just let my fly in around some random models, and 99% of the game is finished. No one can stop me now (=

Even i, as a game engine developer, ended up doing a game engine where people doesnt have to write code or scripts, doesnt have to do models, just throw image files with a given name to given directories, and the game maker automatically generates the entire game, the maps, and the 3d models from the image and text files.

this thread is drifting off course anyways so I thought I should post this, gulf related operations.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement