๐ŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! ๐ŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What can I do about a group of toxic people in my game?

Started by
22 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3ย years, 11ย months ago

In my game, there is this group of toxic people that constantly break the rules. I ban them, but they come back on alternate accounts. I've tried communicating with them, but they don't listen. How can I get them off my site?

Advertisement

What are the rules that are being broke?

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚<โ†The tone posse, ready for action.

Sharing accounts, harassment, and cursing

I don't think this is a game design question. Moving thread. The Game Design forum is just for design matters.

Cosmos, I assume you've tried IP address blockingโ€ฆ?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I'd rather not deal with that, as I could block entire schools. Also, it's easily circumvented through VPNs and such.

CosmosAblaze said:

In my game, there is this group of toxic people that constantly break the rules. I ban them, but they come back on alternate accounts. I've tried communicating with them, but they don't listen. How can I get them off my site?

Sadly if someone really wants to get back into the game there is little you can do. All you can do is make it harder.

Look into Hardware ID banning but again all this can be bypassed and spoofed.

The best way is to program smart triggers in the game that flags such action and just boots them out of the game right away and locks their account for review. You want to make it so they get banned as quick as possible, and keep it automated. After awhile they will just give up.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I'll look into that, thank you.

Nerf their connection bandwidth to an unenjoyable level, don't ban them. Also make their game experience miserable if they are serious about the game. Such as in an FPS make their hitbox HUGE. Just don't make anything too obvious. They will just disconnect and reconnect not knowing they are being gimped. I think this is a version of shadow banning.

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚<โ†The tone posse, ready for action.

Can you somehow make them believe that they're there, but in reality nobody would see them?

Some games even put trouble makers in their own instance and let them run wild!

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement