Advertisement

RAM and linux

Started by December 12, 2001 11:39 AM
6 comments, last by griffenjam 22 years, 9 months ago
I have Mandrake 8.1 and on the login message it gives a little bit of system info (Processer speed, server name, RAM), in that info my amount of RAM is listed incorrectly. It says I have 64 Megs, I really have 256. Does this even matter? How do I change it? Jason Mickela ICQ : 873518 E-Mail: jmickela@sbcglobal.net -Making "alot" a real word one paragraph at a time.-
-Can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me, can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Once you log in, pull up a terminal and type

''cat /proc/meminfo''

This will list all your memory information. Check the numbers here instead of their login screen. Look for the line "MemTotal". If that''s not correct, then you have an issue. (bad memory stick possibly)

R.
Advertisement
Or, it''s just not being detected properly. You may need to add the boot parameter ''mem=256M'' (I think that''s it...) to your /etc/lilo.conf (assuming you are using LILO).
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Hard to imagine that Mandrake 8.1 would need that, should be pretty good about memory detection now.

If do try that, you need to edit your lilo.conf.

su up, or log in as root.

1. ''cd /etc''
2. ''cp lilo.conf lilo.old'' // back up your lilo.conf
3. vi/emac or run one of the Gnome edit tools.
4. Find the section that has

image=/boot/vmlinuz
(Not a mandrake user, but pretty sure it''s the same as RHat).

5. Then you''ll need to add the following line

image=/boot/vmlinuz
append="mem=256M" // add this line!

You''ll have other lines under image=, such as label=linux and root=. Don''t mess with these =)

6. Since any changes aren''t carried over until you run lilo,
run ''/sbin/lilo''. Once you''ve run lilo, reboot and check your memory again.

I haven''t had any recent installs of RHat (Rhat and Mandrake are pretty much the same under the hood) not pick up memory lately, so let me know if you have to add mem=256M and it worked.

R.
I agree, I thought this was an old issue that was taken care of in the newer distros

subnet_rx
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
You can also simply type "free" to see both total memory and total used memory.

rm -rf /bin/laden
Advertisement
its not a distro issue

its kernel (bios?) level.

use the mem= parameter like others said. 256M may not work, if it doesnt try 255M or 254M

saai
Uhm, newer distro = newer kernel =)

R.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement