🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Star Wars Episode 9: The End of the Sequel Trilogy

Started by
2 comments, last by warhound 4 years, 5 months ago

It's been out for a while, and I'm sure many of us here have seen it. It's finally over. The end of the new and at times divisive trilogy is over. Let's discuss our thoughts!

My own thoughts: it was a fairly poorly made movie. My criticisms center around the overall structuring and pacing of the movie. The first half of the movie was far too rushed and introduced way too many new plot points, which were not only hard to keep track of, but never really given any time to develop. A lot of these new plot points were basically never hinted at in the first two movies. The movie sort of picked up midway, but even then, the ending was still throwing new ideas out there pretty randomly. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the direction they chose, nor the plot points and decisions made, but it's how they executed it that I found disappointing.

The final battle sequence also seemed very lackluster, especially when you consider the idea that the scale is supposed to be thousands of starships involved. Rogue one and Revenge of the Sith were far better in this regard.

One criticism, which is pretty much a criticism of the whole trilogy really, we are still sticking pretty closely to the overall beats of the OT, only with new rebellion and new Empire. One of the things that they really did mess up from the very beginning is not trying something different. This new trilogy never really advanced Star Wars beyond that old set up.

But those are my thoughts. Let's discuss!!!

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

It just struck me that the new trilogy is a product, not a story. Episode 7 didn't try to tell a new story but merely sell new characters. Episode 8 wasn't a continuation, it was a personal experiment. Episode 9 wasn't a conclusion, it was damage control. As stories, the sequel trilogy is hilariously disjointed, but as products, it makes uncomfortably perfect sense.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Lendrigan Games said:

It just struck me that the new trilogy is a product, not a story. Episode 7 didn't try to tell a new story but merely sell new characters. Episode 8 wasn't a continuation, it was a personal experiment. Episode 9 wasn't a conclusion, it was damage control. As stories, the sequel trilogy is hilariously disjointed, but as products, it makes uncomfortably perfect sense.

I was actually fine with the series until Episode 9. However, I do sort of agree. 7 basically was rehashing Episode 4, albeit with new characters. 8 I personally thought was good for trying to be different. 9 was essentially damage control, or a Reddit wishlist essentially.

The lack of a vision for this trilogy really shows. It's really unfortunate, but it's clear that Disney sort of messed up here without at least putting a basic sketch of how the movies would pan out beforehand.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement