🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Open source 2D lightweight engine aimed for .io games

Started by
0 comments, last by g_o 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey there,

Intro

I've been making this 2D lightweight engine targeted for Javascript and Canvas, making it ideal for the web (e.g: .io games). It also can work "natively" with nodejs; this was supposed to be a simple contiuation of the framework I made for my game jams, though taking the idea to it's logical conclusion it slowly it started be more and more demanding and as my spare time dwindles I realize that the project needs more people to keep it's quality. Simply finishing the engine as quickly as I can, no matter what, might result in bad quality. Keeping the quality  though would increase development time indefeinitely. (I might just give up at some point)

The engine is open source though, and already is a functioning prototype and that's why I think it's time to seek for other JS developers to join. So far it's only been me, but it's not a simple task as the line count is now over ~62,000 (js only) and maintainance starts playing a role. 

Current state

You've got most standard features implemented and now working on a world editor. There's an up to date documentation & wiki pages on getting started. There are demos and tests (pong is ~140 lines of code with stupidest of bots) and issues & milestones up to date. Basically, as little friction as I could afford. Once the editor is finished: the heart of the project - a multiplayer component.

How can you help

Even giving me some feedback or making something using the engine would be a great deal that would make improving easier. Of course, actually contributing, preferably finishing existing issues related is the best thing that can happen to the engine.

Even telling me whether or not this engine is a good idea or if the idea itself can be improved would help a lot.

Github: https://github.com/g--o/JSCF

Thank you for reading, appreciate your time

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement