🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Should I drop my partner?

Started by
11 comments, last by Cacks 4 years, 11 months ago

So, total noob here, and not so unfamiliar with project development, just not in this sense ( as a game with IP ). So, I decided to stop doing web development freelance a couple years back and start doing what I have always wanted to do since I started learning how to program fifteen years ago; game development. I picked up unity and started working on my own time. I haven't done much but learn and mess around until earlier this year. I decided to finish a game ( super simple, nothing worth noting ) and then wanted to do something a bit bigger and funner. I reached out to a friend and told him I was trying to think of an idea. He has no coding experience or any other talent to contribute , but he is a avid gamer and as such, I thought might have some ideas. Sure enough, he did. I told him, start writing everything down and after some talking, I started working on the project. Fast foward five months , I have recieved less than a 1k words on the game design and at this point, I am now designing the game.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Should I change the name of the game and keep working on it? Do I offer him a royalty percentage? Is there something I am not thinking about here?

Thanks in advance

--David Kilmer

Advertisement
24 minutes ago, davidkilmer said:

Is there something I am not thinking about here?

Maybe (and btw, welcome ! :-))

Your friend apparently has different priorities and/or doesn't see this as enthusiastic as you do. Since this probably can't be changed without endangering a friendship (which should always be considered as being more valuable as some nebulous future program), i'd just roll my own game design/story whatever and keep a friend.

Just an opinion.

12 minutes ago, davidkilmer said:

Should I change the name of the game and keep working on it?

That's 100% up to you and your partner.

12 minutes ago, davidkilmer said:

Do I offer him a royalty percentage?

This is something you should be doing from the start. If you both went into the project together as a team even if he is the primary "idea man", then you should be mutually agreeing to splits... If your game sells a ton of copies having such agreement in place which is legally binding is the proper way to approach this.

Such agreements need to factor in how much everyone is contributing to the overall success of the game. Who is providing the funding for the development and marketing? Who holds the most risk by investing into the project? ect... Ideas on their own are worthless... and anyone can come up with an idea.

16 minutes ago, davidkilmer said:

Is there something I am not thinking about here?

If your intent from day one is to work on a commercial project then you need to treat this like a business and do things properly. A lot of "indie developers" don't do this, and many of them don't even have the knowledge or funds to even launch a game into the market place which has the ability to generate positive revenue. This starts with the very game concept you're working on. Is it even marketable? How will I generate exposure? Do I have the funds to run a marketing campaign? Do I have the funds to polish up the game to a certain standard? and on and on....

I would also add this... don't ruin your friendship over "rev splits"... What are the chances this game is even going to sell? Do you even have the capacity to make it happen? Why not just make the game together for fun? Then work on a commercial project with other people next time and keep your friendship.

Best of luck.

Programmer and 3D Artist

That story reminds me of how Facebook started.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

It's obvious that he likes games, but he's just not into developing them. It's hard work.

I'd just say something like, "Hey, man. It's not a big deal, but you don't seem as interested in making this game as I am. And that's totally fine. I'm just going to keep working on it though, if that's okay with you. I know we kind of started it together, but if you're cool with me running with the ideas we discussed and it being my own thing, let me know."

Whether he'll say it's his work too and you don't own it (very unlikely) or he concedes and gives you permission to run with it (the most likely outcome), you'll have you're answer without looking like a douche. It think your question has less to do with IP rights and more to do with walking on eggshells around a friend.

Good luck!

We recently had to let go one of our oldest team members. I work as an artist for an indie development group of now eight people who displayed, at the least bit, the willingness to communicate their ideas and feelings. This team member wasn't very communicative. Her skills needed drastic improvement, sure, but our team is full of students who are still learning quite a bit, and we were going to be patient with her, give her a chance to grow and see what happens.

The worst thing a teammate can be is quiet. If he is unskilled, that is one thing, but even ideas can be worth more than the code itself. If you haven't already, I think you should give him two options. Either meet with him weekly to discuss your weekly plans (like our team does) or drop him. Weekly communication works at the least bit as some assurance that he cares about the project.

There is no sense in giving royalties to someone who doesn't obviously care about your game.

Hope this helps.

22 minutes ago, Glyfik said:

We recently had to let go one of our oldest team members. I work as an artist for an indie development group of now eight people who displayed, at the least bit, the willingness to communicate their ideas and feelings. This team member wasn't very communicative. Her skills needed drastic improvement, sure, but our team is full of students who are still learning quite a bit, and we were going to be patient with her, give her a chance to grow and see what happens.

The worst thing a teammate can be is quiet. If he is unskilled, that is one thing, but even ideas can be worth more than the code itself. If you haven't already, I think you should give him two options. Either meet with him weekly to discuss your weekly plans (like our team does) or drop him. Weekly communication works at the least bit as some assurance that he cares about the project.

There is no sense in giving royalties to someone who doesn't obviously care about your game.

Hope this helps.

You just need to factor in something here, this is his 'friend'. That makes it entirely different than having dead weight on a project and removing someone who you had no connection with prior to the project. You have to handle this much differently than just booting him out. People can get very defensive and take things the wrong way and it isn't worth a friendship over something like an "indie game" and potential money that may never materialize anyhow.

One of the many reasons you should be extremely careful about going into any commercial ventures with friends and family.

Programmer and 3D Artist

57 minutes ago, Rutin said:

You just need to factor in something here, this is his 'friend'. That makes it entirely different than having dead weight on a project and removing someone who you had no connection with prior to the project. You have to handle this much differently than just booting him out. People can get very defensive and take things the wrong way and it isn't worth a friendship over something like an "indie game" and potential money that may never materialize anyhow.

I've had to really think about this...

You're absolutely right, making a high-level business agreement with a friend is very risky. Since there is a nonzero chance that the work of two or even one developer may generate decent revenue, the money needs to be divvied up somehow and people need to be paid their due diligence. I disagree with making partnership deals assuming otherwise. Ideas are great, but a lack of skill and communication is tough to sell.

The group member we let go was our friend. It sucked. We felt awful. We questioned everything we were doing for a moment, and decided right then and there that we were serious about this project.

7 hours ago, davidkilmer said:

I decided to finish a game ( super simple, nothing worth noting ) and then wanted to do something a bit bigger and funner.

Then again, although the OP plans on going bigger, this is their first real project together. I suppose I'll rest my case. Give it time, talk to him at least weekly and get updates on his thoughts on the project. If he seems off to you, let him go.

It's all a question on whether you plan on making that leap of faith sooner or later, when the situation will be even harder to handle.

Hellish situation. Been in it but it was a unique situation: Kept the partner, Did the lionshare of the work, covered all of the expenses and provided him cash. Even then, the friendship suffered.

Regrets as to the uneven expense? None. As to how I handled things including all communication? Tons. (He had skills I could never develop.)

Your question to partner: "Are you willing to commit more time and potentially money once we reach that point where we need outside assets?" Be prepared to purge your game of partner's document, or work out something now before your investment increases. 

It's not about ownership, thinking you will create the next Doom or Facebook or World of Warcraft, or (given your team size) Tetris...it's about being able to work and have a friendship without ambiguity, doubts, suspicions and fears getting in the way.

Flipping hell, ya'all a bunch of cool cats! Thank you so much for your feedback! It is deeply and extremely appreciated!!!

Green_Baron said it, our friendship IS more important than anything to do with the game. So, tomorrow, I am just going to let him know that the next update is simply going to include a lot of design that was only discussed and not planned or written by him, and hey, when the game is finished and we decide to continue, we can discuss changing the design and mechanics if feedback agrees.

This is supposed to be a prototype, and the game is very ambitious , so actually finishing the prototype is going to be a feat in of itself. If I get it there, then those things can be decided than.

You guys are awesome, and I really appreciate every single reply. It is extremely awesome knowing that there is a community of folks here, AND they are listening and willing to help. That is freaking awesome!!! THANK YOU ALL!

--David Kilmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement