🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Nintendo Switch Dev Kits Not For Education

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 7 months ago
Just to share our experience and probably ask what you guys think....
I'm partly working for private well-established multimedia school here in Singapore and was task to acquire a Nintendo Switch Dev Kit to be part of our new curriculum. I emailed Nintendo (and the powers that be) in Japan to enquire on how to get a dev kit. They replied and ask us to wait as they working on something as "to have schools and corporation to be able to access" the kits. So we did. This was back in January this year. I emailed them again, asking for any updates, they replied "We can't send you the kit for the purpose for education."

I don't get it. It's not the waiting. I thought that developing for the Switch or any if their platform involving more devs would be a reasonable strategy for them. What do you guys think?
...and submission is not always what it seems...
Advertisement

Console platform owners typically grant developer licenses to only established developers. Not all of them have special programs for educators. Talk to Sony and Microsoft too, see if you don't find different policies prevailing; you might. Contact other educational institutions that teach game development and compare notes. Our opinions on the matter, here on this forum, won't cause change. Also consider in-person meetings, which might be more persuasive than emails. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement