Advertisement

About Visual C++

Started by December 06, 2001 06:52 AM
3 comments, last by JDL 22 years, 9 months ago
Is there any reason why I should purchase Professional version of Visual C++ instead of Standard version for game development?
Doubtfully, though I would recommend the intro version (assuming you don''t mind a small message box popping up at the beginning of your program)
Peon
Advertisement
There''s a Comparison Chart of Features in Each Visual C++ Edition on MSDN. The only significant difference between Standard and Pro for game development purposes is probably that Standard doesn''t do optimization, but on the other hand that''s pretty significant.

IIRC the Intro edition doesn''t allow distribution of compiled programs, so that''s probably not a good choice.
I bet that MSDN rigged that chart so that the Enterprise Edition is 50 times better than the Pro Edition, with the Pro being 50 times better than the standard edition, which to M$ is 500 times better than Borland Enterprise Edition. ()

P.S. Why do those companys that advertise for GameDev.net think they''re going to fool us with those "If this banner is flashing, you''ve been selected to win $1 dollars (cutscene with Dr. Evil)? I think that they''d have 500 times more success on a AIM home page or Internet For Dummies home page.

''Whoever said, "It''s not whether you win or lose that counts," probably lost.'' -Martina Navratilova
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
quote: Original post by tuxx
I bet that MSDN rigged that chart so that the Enterprise Edition is 50 times better than the Pro Edition, with the Pro being 50 times better than the standard edition, which to M$ is 500 times better than Borland Enterprise Edition.

Of course they did - that''s always the case with such charts - but luckily we developers are not stupid enough to compare products by counting features, are we?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement