Advertisement

where did you start to make a game?

Started by August 11, 2018 06:10 PM
14 comments, last by Dawan Dumas 5 years, 11 months ago

Sorry man. I'm too stubborn for that. we all played  the rpg makers, far cry map editors. I need to keep going where I am because I want make a better game than mine.  I did a lot of research and between loans, business plans having everything copy right and there is there ways I believe to get your stuff copy right. name, web name, commercial. I have to move forward and learn from the game I want to make. everyone did what they could and Mario maker. pokemon hacks. M.u.g.e.n. game engines. I understand if I didn't know my story or the complex of my game, but honestly. everything I want to do has been in other. some in games that we forgot( like why wasn't armor core just as smooth as zone of enders mechs)?

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, kseh said:

Step 1, Learn to program. If you think you've learned things sufficiently take a stab at the below suggestions. If you're finding you don't know how to work out what's needed to complete them then continue to build on your programming knowledge.

• Get a sprite up on the screen.
  • Learn to move it around with the keyboard or mouse (ideally learn both).
  • Get more than one sprite on the screen.
  • Move each sprite independently from the other somehow.
  • Figure out how to test for collisions and do something when they occur.
  • Figure out how to animate your sprites.

Hopefully by the time you've worked out how to do the above you'll have an idea of what you need and how to go about perusing your project further.

Be prepared for a very long process. Like, lifelong.  Working with assets and IP that you have already created at this point may help inspire you to push on but understand that what you want to do, what you think you should be able to do, and what you can do are all different things.

wow. all of this is great advice. thanks everyone

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

Advertisement

When I was a little boy I used to create my own card games with rules I made on up on the spot.  My siblings accused me of cheating, haha.  Don't interrupt the creative process!

@Dawan Dumas if it's something you truly want to accomplish, then you'll get there because you'll have that inner hunger to succeed at all costs.

I started out almost 20 years ago, I think I'm on 18 or something now, but the dreams I had back then were wild! I had to endure some hard times and thankfully I ended up sticking with my goals even though I had some stop and go moments. My desire to succeed is what has been my driving force in learning the countless languages I have under my belt, plus 2D/3D graphics. You just gotta want it bad enough, and you'll do whatever it takes.

Out side of 'IT' & 'Game Development', I've approached all my goals the same way and for the most part I've done everything I've set out to do. As long as your goals are realistic and obtainable, then all you need to do is make baby steps and have extreme focus on the task at hand to move forward.

This is just my opinion, but I've always considered that motivation doesn't happen first, it happens after an action has occurred. You might not be "motivated" to go to the gym, but once you start lifting that motivation follows after the action. Many times people will "procrastinate" while waiting to become or feel motivated. 100% of the time if I just 'do it', I never run into this problem, the longer I wait to do a task or to learn something new the longer it takes me to get started.

I hope everything works out for you, and if you need any help just ask us.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Thanks man. I'm hungry for this. I feel like the more and more I talk about it. the more and more new possiblities open up. The business part. i know it and I can do it. the gaming. I just have this crazy Idea I need to make a game because I feel like it will be legendary and I'm figuring out on how to put it all together. I want to make games and challenges people at them. Like can you beat the creator lol? This is what I want to do for a career.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement