🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Magick with a K

Started by
9 comments, last by slayemin 5 years, 11 months ago

Hi sorry if my post formatting skills are sub par. I thought I should chuck this up in the lounge for anyone interested, it's a paper written by Jake Blatchley. The paper discusses historical figures and explores a realm that's on the front lines of the current consciousness paradigm shift we are experiencing world wide. Below I have put a link to the paper, read it with an open mind and if you have something to say please feel free to discuss your thoughts in this thread. 

Star-t Doing Magick.docx

"I could either watch it happen or be a part of it." - Elon Musk

Advertisement

Tried to read it. 

Poorly written, incoherent nonsense. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Haha get back under your bridge bro you follow like a bad smell

Sorry, I've got to agree with ChaosEngine, I forced myself through the first couple of pages, but it really is poorly written.  Constant non-standard spellings or portmanteaus for no real reason, and regular use of invented terms without a provided definition make it hard to read and approach seriously.  Likewise the mix of what attempts to be reasonably formal language with very informal language including curse words.  It strikes me as if the author didn't really have an audience in mind, and so switches between styles intended for different groups.  Just look at the title: "Be-cum Opti-Mystic"... really?

I think there's definitely value (even for the logical scientific-minded) in examining spirituality, but judging from the first two pages I don't think that value is likely to be found in this particular 'paper' - it seems more like a high schooler's armchair philosophy essay than an explanation of well thought out research.

Skimming the rest, it seems to degrade rapidly from there to the sort of cheesy hocum a would-be cult leader peddles to get themselves laid.

If you find it valuable, all power to you, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of adults (or even teenagers) don't want to take it seriously.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for the constructive feedback, it's always interesting to see how different communities react to this kind of information.

5 hours ago, JoshuaFraser said:

Thanks for the constructive feedback, it's always interesting to see how different communities react to this kind of information.

The reactions above are more about the presentation than the information :)

I'm familiar with Crowley / Thelema / the A∴A∴/ do what you will / magick-with-a-k, having gone through the sophomoric occult-spiritual phase myself :D ... So, I'm aware of a lot of your subject matter, but as with the earlier replies, I also found that the tone and style of your writing constantly changes, you invent your own jargon without defining it for the reader, and use strange spelling and grammar for no reason (an affectation deliberately making it appear occult?), which makes it hard to actually consume any actual information from the pages. Keep practising. 

On the topic of do what thou wilt though, my interpretation was that the intention was for the practitioner to divine God's will and seek to bring their own will into alignment with it (via self control magick). Once you have complete control over your will and are able to do God's work, then you won't be in conflict with anyone. 

6 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

The reactions above are more about the presentation than the information :)

Quoted for emphasis. The topics are interesting and worthy of exploration, but this document is not a good source.

- Jason Astle-Adams

10 hours ago, JoshuaFraser said:

I thought I should chuck this up in the lounge for anyone interested, it's a paper written by Jake Blatchley.

9 hours ago, JoshuaFraser said:

Thanks for the constructive feedback

Did you find this (written by someone else), or did you write this yourself?

Hello to all my stalkers.

9 hours ago, jbadams said:

Quoted for emphasis. The topics are interesting and worthy of exploration, but this document is not a good source.

Just for comparison here’s a video essay on Alan Moore and his beliefs in magic (no, I’m going to spell it with a K, I’m not 13)

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Star-t Doing Magick/Be-cumOpti-Mysticby Jake Blatchly

I’m not claiming to be an expert but I’m going to be open, honest, raw and candid with you about what I know from learning magickthat has helped me begin to shamangineer myself into a opti-mystic esoterrorist.

Yep... I don't need to read any further than this. I know its gonna be trash and I don't need to waste any further time. It's more interesting to examine why this is trash than to read it.

1) Cutesy misspellings. Reeks of pseudoscience at best.
2) The writer missed the space bar too many times for my patience.
3) The writer opens with "I'm not an expert", so I'm left wondering why I should care about reading anything further beyond this.
4) an "esoterrorist"? "opti-mystic"? Now you know that the bar for rigor and quality is scraping the bottom of the barrel. The reader should know they're in make-believe territory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement